Chapter 16

Charlie's P.O.V.

Being in a coma is exhausting, I tell you. The constant urge of trying to open your eyes, it's hard.

On the outside, it probably looks like I'm just laying there, but on the inside...

I'm fighting for my life.

After another day of visitors as known as Joy and the boys, I decide to try to get some sleep.

I am finally able to open my eyes.

They flicker open, after what has been one week.

But they quickly close again, the bright lights burning them.

After a few seconds, I re-open them, blinking multiple times, so my eyes can adjust themselves to the white tl-lamps.

I stretch my arms above my head, noticing multiple tubes connected to them, following by three machines.

My arms are wrapped in white bandages, not one drop of blood visable.

The door slowly goes open, to see a doctor wearing a white lab coat, Luke following behind him.

When Luke sees I'm awake, his smile lits up the whole room.

I'm not able to speak, but that's normal I guess.

"Ah, Miss Tompkins, you're awake. The machines haven't registered extraordinary heartbeats or anything, so you are released from the hospital. You only need an adult for your supervision, you need to stay with him or her so they can have an eye on you." The doctor says.

Well damn, I don't have parents.

Just when I was about to say I have no adult in my life, a heavy voice breaks the silence.

"I'll take care of her." The voice says, connected to a face I've saw thousands of times in the scrapbooks on the attic. A face that my mother told me to run away from, as fast as I could.

He abused my mother.

"Father?" Is the only thing that comes out of my mouth, barely audible.

I get a confused look from Luke, but I shake it off.

"Yes, it's me. I'll take care of you from now on. Call me when you're ready to go." My so-called father says, already walking out of my room.

"The nurse will take care of the machines attached to you. Your father will go to the receptionist and get your papers. Get well, Miss Tompkins."

...

"Get in the car, and say goodbye to that friend of yours." My father says, sitting behind the wheel.

"He's not my friend." I say, just on a tone so he cannot hear it.

I carefully walk over to Luke, who's on his phone.

When he notices I'm in front of him, he shoots me a quick smile.

"Be careful with that dude, he seems dangerous." Are his last words before giving me a light kiss and hug.

I get in the car with my father, he doesn't say a word to me, which I'm happy about.

I'm certainly not in the mood for a chitchqt with him. The only thing I actually want to know, is why he suddeny appeared in my room, but I keep quiet.

I don't dare taking out my cellphone to text Luke, maybe he'll freak out or something.

The car ride doesn't take long, only five or ten minutes.