Chapter 23

Megan's POV

I grunted as I switched off with Emma and supported some of Kathryn's weight as we walked through the caves. "we're... almost... there." Kathryn muttered in between her heavy breathing. I could tell that she had lost a lot of blood based on how pale she looked. In fact, I was surprised that she was even conscious! Suddenly from somewhere behind us we all heard a loud howl mixed with a roar. "They're... almost here." Kathryn said tiredly. "Everyone but Megan and Emma run to the exit. It's straight ahead. I... want you all to be safe." When they didn't move Kathryn yelled "NOW!" and they all ran.

Shadow and his soldiers weren't far behind and I could tell. "Megan... have Emma help me and go meet up... with the others." Kathryn said and I nodded. Emma walked over and helped Kathryn support herself. I looked back at them for one moment before running to catch up with the others. I hope kathryn will be ok. If only I had stayed...

Emma's POV

I helped Kathryn walk but I could tell that we wouldn't make it in time before they caught up to us. Kathryn pulled out her sword and I did the same. "Emma... just so you know. If I don't survive... You should know that-" "KATHRYN!" Kathryn was cut off by Shadow as he appeared at the end of the cave tunnel. Kathryn's hair turned black and red and her eyes changed to red as well. She stood up as if she wasn't injured and glared at Shadow. She pointed to him with the hand that wasn't holding her sword and suddenly out of the shadows came a ton of wolves. All of them were made completely of shadows. One of them I got a good enough view of to see what it looked like. I couldn't make out all of it's features but it seemed to have the body shape as a large wolf and this one in particular had large red shadowy wings as well.

Midnight looked around and saw what Fang had done. "Emma run! I'll hold the cave up long enough for you to escape and then I'll be right behind you!" "No! I'm not leaving you!" I screamed at her with tears in my eyes. "I'll be fine. I am going to be right behind you so don't worry." Midnight yelled back at me. I almost didn't go but I knew I had to so i turned and ran as fast as I could. As I did I noticed the walls of the cave were cracking horribly. This thing is going to fall any second! How is she going to 'hold it up'? Then I noticed ice spreading out along the wall. It wasn't coming from me though. I looked behind me and discovered that Midnight was doing it. She was pretty far behind me but was running as well. I could see the exit now and I sprinted even faster to it. I ran out and into the sunlight. As I did my whole world came crashing down on me. The ice on the walls shattered and Midnight looked and me and said "I'm sorry, cousin." before the cave collapsed on her. The force threw me backwards and I hit my head on a rock. No. I thought to myself. She can't be gone. She just can't... I thought as my world went black and tears fell down from my eyes.

I groaned as I weakly opened my tired eyelids. For a few seconds I stared at the unfamiliar ceiling and tied to remember what happened and where I was. Then I kind of wished I hadn't remembered as all of the memories came back to me about Midnight. She was my cousin! My cousin! And I could have saved her! I began to cry. my whole body felt like it was made of led and I could tell that it was going to be a while before I would be back to full strength. Then the door to the room I was in opened and Megan walked in. For once I kind of wished that she would be smiling her huge smile saying "Oh don't worry about Kathryn, she's fine! It was all just a dream you had!" but I knew that wouldn't happen. Kathryn Coffin, Lamia Nightwalker, and Midnight Nightwalker are all dead. "How are you feeling Emma?" Megan asked as she gave me a look that said 'I know what happened and I'm sorry for your loss' I swallowed and replied "I'm alive but I could use a glass of ice water." My voice was slightly scratchy and I could tell I had been out of it for a while. "Don't worry Emma. We'll get through this. It may not be easy but we'll get through this. We'll get through this."

"No. You won't. Don't worry though, I'm always watching."