Chapter 28

Jace's POV

Okay the other guards barracks should be taken out, this is the last one. Turning the corner I count twelve bodies, not heavily armed, chilling out on the couches arranged around the room, Wow great slaves Valem. I nod at Ella who throws the grenade into the full room, heading in ten seconds later. I use my powers, that I'd recently discovered, I knock seven out, I begin to shoot each and every one of them, no prisoners is the main rule. Before I reach the last one a six foot man launches himself on to my back.

I throw him over my shoulder and square myself for the next attack, he's up in less than ten seconds. He jumps up to drop kick me, I grab his legs and throw him to the ground, he doesn't give up though. He springs up with the intention to hit me, I grab his fist and knee his armpit, paralysing his left side. Taking my hand gun out, I shoot him point blank and he drops to the floor without a word.

I turn to Ella who is covered in blood but wearing a defiant look on her face, I grab her hand and start to head to the Throne Room where we plan to meet. I hope Bry is okay. I can't lose her either. Checking Ella over for injuries and finding none, we open the door and walk into the main corridor.

This is going to be a long night and I don't really care. I guess that says something about me.

We walk through the long, wide corridors. Finally reaching the Throne Room, I check my ammo and wait outside for the others to turn up, if they've done their jobs right it means there are two guards left and Valem's family (e.g his wife and sister). Weird he surrounds himself with women.

After five minutes lost in my thoughts, Brandon and Abbie turn the corner and run over to me. "Are you guys good?" I ask quickly.

"Yeah." They reply. I turn to look at them,

"Are you ready for this?" They both nod their heads.

"Let's give 'em hell." Brandon whispers, I smile and push open the door. My smile widens to an evil grin when I see the fact that Valem is sat gawking at us, I look around the room to see two guards and his wife and sister spaced about the room. The wife is close to me as she hasn't moved, Idiot. "Missed us much Valem?" Brandon says coldly, Valem gathers his composure and steps down from his throne.

"Ahh, it is good to see you again, but what have I done to deserve this visit?" He asks, he knows what he's done, he wants to get under my skin. I don't give him the satisfaction.

"You know what Valem." I say slowly whilst rolling my eyes, he just doesn't get it, does he?

"Oh yes, you want Little Miss Danvers, sorry no can do. I still need her." He replies.

"Yeah, to cure your cancer. Does not mean she's actually going to do it." Brandon says. Valem pales. The other's pile into the room, except Jay, Penny and Matt who are currently searching for Bryony. More of Valem's soldiers walk in. Where the heck did he get them from? We all join hands and begin to chant. Valem's eyes widen and he points the gun at Ella realising she's the one channelling the power.

He pulls the trigger and in the moment I launch myself in front of Ella, the bullet pierces my stomach and Ella screams. The line breaks and everyone pounces on their very own guards. Valem, his wife and his sister run out of the back door a few guards following on behind them, I sigh slightly when Ella lifts my head and places it in her lap.

"Why can't I heal him?!" She shouts.

"Only Bryony can save him now." Brandon says.

Bryony's POV

"Jay?" I ask as a familiar shadow approaches my cell.

"Bry," He tears the door from the walls and picks me up in his arms.

"Where are we going?"

"The throne room." Matthew says.

"Matty." I whisper with tears in my eyes.

"I'm here." He takes me from Jay and kisses my temple, "What did he do to you?" He whispers almost to himself, as if in pain.

"I'm sorry, I wasn't strong enough."

"No, never be sorry for that." His grip on me tightens and I wince. "Sorry." We finally reach the throne room, I hear Ella screaming. Jay opens the door and my eyes drift to Jace's bleeding form.

"I have to help him."

"No, you're too weak." Jay says to me. I turn my head and glare at him.

"I have to try." I roll out of Matthew's arms and crawl over to Jace.

"No Bry, you can't." He stutters.

"Don't start." I say in warning, before placing one hand on his forehead and the other on his wound. I pull all the power I have and pass it through my arms and into Jace, I embrace the warm tingle in my arms. Before I let the darkness finally consume me.

Jace's POV

I jolt awake in my bed and wonder if the whole thing was a dream. "It wasn't a dream." Ella's melodic voice speaks up from next to me. "You almost died." she whispers before hugging me tightly.

"What about Bry? Is she okay?" Ella shakes her head slightly. "Take me to her." She pulls me from the bed and down the corridor to Bryony's room. Everyone has gathered around her lifeless body. I study her silently, from her yellow skin to her almost white hair. "Is she.."

"Not yet, but I fear she might be soon." Matthew says quietly, tears threatening to flood his cheeks. I walk forward and take her cold hand in mine. As soon as our skin touches her hair begins to darken to her natural hair colour, her skin loses the yellow tint. She shoots up into a sitting position panting slightly.

"Jace? I-I thought, wait what?" She says confused.

"You almost died Bryony, then Jace came in and touched you.." Jay says before trailing off.

"What is it?" I ask.

"Bryony wouldn't wake up because she was too busy pumping her powers into you, to heal you. Her body knew to stop when you touched her, she could feel the life in your veins." Jay explains.

"Does that mean she has no powers anymore?" Ella asks.

"No not at all, it just means that they are connected. However if Bryony is to die, Jace will too." Brandon adds.

"What happens to Bry if Jace dies?" Ella asks.

"Nothing." Bryony says. "What time is it?"

"Midnight." Chelsea says.

"I think it's time for bed." Bry says, everyone takes their turn hugging us before heading off to their rooms.

"Night Bry." I say. I leave, but not before I see Matthew wrap his arms tightly around her crying into her hair.

"It's okay, I'm here." I hear her whisper, her voice catching before she starts crying too, what a bittersweet reunion.