Everything Is Peachy

Once Ivy and I were far enough away from the scene of the crime, Ivy called Web from her cell phone and told him where we were. He had picked us up within five minutes. The boy was a mixture of emotions as I relived what I had done. He was pissed that he missed it, but relieved that he didn't have to do anything. Especially after he saw my chest. It turned out that when Jordan landed on me and I staked him, the butt of the stake jabbed against my chest leaving a large, dark purple bruise. I lied and said that it barely even hurt, mostly because I didn't want anyone to fuss over me and just wanted them to leave me alone about everything. 

We went to sleep that night with Ivy and Web talking about everything that Ivy had done and her retelling the parts of my story that she could remember. I ignored them, pretending to be asleep, even though that didn't actually happen for me at all. Every time that I would drift off I would see Jordan's bloody body and grief would feel my stomach. I was extremely relieved the next morning when my friends finally woke up and I no longer had to pretend to be sleeping. 

"I say we stay for the next two days and have a mini vacation," Ivy sang happily, bouncing on our bed.  

We were currently trying to decide what to do next. We accidently finished the mission early and weren't even expected to be back for two more days at the earliest. Web and Ivy were giddy with ideas and singing my praises every chance they got. It wasn't like that for me, I felt constantly on the edge of puking.  

While my friends were busy celebrating, I was busy thinking of ways to relieve my guilt. I spent time hoping that my father would leave me alone for a few weeks while I tried to come to terms with what I did. I couldn't help but think that maybe a few more days away would be good for me. At least that way my father couldn't order me onto another mission. 

"If we stay, we have to leave this town," I finally spoke up. "Things didn't exactly work out the way it was supposed to." The mission was easy for Web and Ivy, but it wasn't for me. I ended up doing all the work by accident. Now my friends had a false idea about how easy killing missions were, but I knew the truth. 

"No one even saw you walk off with him," Ivy spoke up. "I'm sure it won't be a big deal. Besides, it's not like they can follow our scent." 

"Better safe than sorry," Web agreed with me, "We'll just go a few towns over. No biggie." 

"Alright, pack up," I sighed. I wasn't sure how I felt about our mini vacation, I was still torn about everything. If it got back to my dad that we were messing around it wouldn't matter how many Alphas we killed, he would make us regret it. Then again, I really didn't want to go back. 

I packed my things slowly, continuing on with my inner battle. I was so consumed with guilt about what I had done and fear about what my father would do next. I couldn't even concentrate on actually dressing myself properly. I threw on a pair of sweats and an oversized hoodie, threw my hair into a messy bun, and rocked my make-up from the night before. All in all, I looked as shitty as I felt.  

"You look like shit," Web voiced as if he was inside my head.  

"I look relaxed, which was what I was going for," I lied. I wasn't sure how my friends would take my attitude towards killing the Alpha. I wanted to believe that they would understand and try to make me feel better, but I couldn't be sure. I couldn't risk them slipping up and spilling the beans to dear old daddy. It's not that I thought my friends were fake or anything, I just know how hunters work. They would throw their own kid under a bus to get in my father's good graces.  

"Fine, my bad," Web replied, holding his hands out in front on him in surrender. "Your moods are giving me whiplash, just so you know." 

I was about to verbally rip him a new one, but Ivy beat me to the punch. "Em can be in whatever mood she wants. She just killed a wolf and did it all by herself. I think she deserves to act however she wants until it sinks in and she is ready to celebrate. So back off Web."