Throw Me Under The Bus

I ignored the way my body reacted to the other body pressed up against mine. I also ignored the odd feeling of electricity shooting into my skin wherever we touched. What I did take notice to was the sound of his skin sizzling where my knife touched.  

"You're a wolf," I stated.  

"You're a hunter," he spat back.  

Right then I knew who it was. It was the boy from the gas station. I couldn't have forgotten that voice even if I tried. His voice also made me realize that I had been smelling mint since I walked in, but ignored it and pushed it aside because it wasn't important to me at the time, but now it was the only thing I could smell.  

The boy reached out with his hand, causing me to push the blade against his neck with more force. He flipped the light switch on and the small vanity area lit up. I knew more than just the boys voice, I knew exactly who he was now. I knew his birthday, I knew his parents name, and I already met his brother; it was Ashton.  

My whole body froze with my face only inches away from his, the hand holding onto the knife eased up but stayed hovering over his neck. I didn't know what to do. He was staring at me with the dirtiest look, but his eyes seemed to be taking me in happily. He seemed to be just as confused as I was.  

I was trained to never hesitate. I was born for this one purpose. I was meant to rid the world of these disgusting creatures, yet there I was, hesitating. 

Nothing about the moment seemed real.  

The boy in front of me was beautiful. Every feature about him spoke to the feminine side that I was desperately tried to hide at the moment. His soft green eyes held me captive, a small piece of his dark hair rested delicately over his left eye.  

I couldn't kill him, and the longer I stared at him, the more I knew that I couldn't kill him. Something about his eyes, I wasn't sure what it was, but it was there.  

I lowered my hand down that was holding the knife to his neck, and slumped my shoulders. I had accepted my fate.  

"Kill me," I finally said after dropping my head down and taking two deep breaths. No, I didn't want to die, but I couldn't kill him. My father's words rang through my head as he stared me down; 

"If you let one live, if you can't muster up enough courage to kill the rabid animals, then you're dead. If they don't kill you, I will."  

I had a strong feeling that he wouldn't be lenient just because I was his daughter.  

"I'm not going to kill you," he hissed.  

Even though his voice came out harsh and full of anger, I found it beautiful and soothing. It only made my resolve to not kill him even stronger.  

I popped my head up to examine his face, only to be caught up in him. He had a strong defined jaw line that I failed to notice only moments ago. His cheek bones were prominent, making his face look more like a sculpture that was carved by the gods. Lifting my eyes up to his was the hardest part. I knew that once I locked eyes with him, I would be a goner, and I was right.  

The dark depths of his green eyes sucked me in and I couldn't help but get lost in the gold flakes that were lining his pupils.  

"You might as well," I finally choked out, "I'm dead anyways." I dropped my knife on the floor and took a few steps back.  

"How are you a hunter?" he yelled, throwing his hands in the air, apparently ignoring what I had just said. 

"I was born into it," I replied softly. I didn't like him yelling at me, but instead of angering me, it made me feel like shit. Like I had done something wrong and I needed to fix it. It was a stupid feeling.