Twenty-Two: Black and White

'SHIT. SHIT. SHIT. SHIT.'

Hurried footsteps rushing down the hallway and towards the party room made Freddy raise his head. Bonnie was running like mad, as though something- or someone- was giving chase. But there was no one behind the old guitarist, so there was no immediate explanation for the terrified expression on his face.

Before the old leader could even open his mouth, Bonnie simply passed him by, bolting into Kid's Cove. It was empty at this point; most of the others were in the Parts and Services room, the Puppet included.

Having to wake him up was bad enough. Freddy didn't want to disturb him but they'd had no other option. Though now curiosity had gotten the best of him, and the old leader followed Bonnie, who dove behind Mangle's curtain.

What the hell happened? "... Bonnie?" Freddy asked warily.

'WHY? WHY DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING TO ME?'

Bonnie curled into a fetal position on the tiny stage floor, his eyes wide but unseeing. He knew Freddy was trying to talk to him but he ignored the words. He ignored everything he could, hoping to drown his thoughts in a heavy silence. He wanted to forget. He had to forget.

But he couldn't. Something deep inside, sluggish and tired, was stirring. He had been your favorite from the start, you adored the guitar-toting bunny in the old forgotten diner. And he had to admit that yes, he was fond of you. He enjoyed the attention, the way your eyes watched him on the stage. Part of it had been curiosity, of course, that was what had made you want to create the Toys in the first place.

But the adoration was still there, warm and inviting. You still felt it, Bonnie knew you had to. You'd looked heartbroken at seeing him trashed and worn down. It had given him a little bit of hope, and moreso when they were finally fixed up.

They had been fixed for all the wrong reasons. Fritz wanted them to step between you and the blue bunny. The other Originals didn't quite want to do it, though they'd have gladly helped you if you needed it. And you had, when Toy Bonnie had been torn apart; they'd pieced him back together.

The willingness to help was a far cry from the dull ache in Bonnie's chest.

●●●

Slumped into the chair you eyed the blue-haired guitarist. His face was closed and set, carefully avoiding your eyes. Meeting your gaze would only make him falter, and he couldn't afford it now.

But you were still catching your breath, unable to move too much. Trying to stand was a mistake, your knees didn't want to bear your own weight. With a laugh, he'd carried you and settled you into the chair after putting your clothing back in order. Hearing you breathing rapidly, albeit softly, was like music. He'd made that music and wanted to enjoy it.

There was no more time to afford setbacks. Things had been set in motion and it was too late; Toy Bonnie would return to your side as he always would, but he had to leave. He had to force himself to walk away, though he left you with a smile and a promise that he'd be right back, most likely with another of his cupcakes.

You only nodded, returning the smile with a tired one. But it was a pleasant kind of tired. Your body ached and you hadn't let the embarrassment set in yet, but you relaxed nonetheless.

You hadn't seen what he had. You didn't notice the pair of eyes watching you, watching you in the middle of the sort of scream that would echo in Bonbon's mind for a good long while.

It was hard to ignore his older counterpart watching you, eyes wide. He didn't know just when Bonnie had approached, but he was fairly certain he'd seen enough.