II.

-New York, 2008-

My parents were aware of it, yet they chose to let it pass. But they didn't understand how bad it was, or else they would've figured out the consequences that will follow them someday, if not today.

Today's my 12th birthday and as usual, my parents have hosted a grand party. A party that consisted of people who knew absolutely nothing about me, some, not even my name.

"Happy birthday ...Ummm..."
"Aanya." I filled in my name in the greeting I received from an older stranger probably for the 50th time in these 2 hours. The stranger smiled awkwardly, handed me a neatly wrapped gift and slowly walked away towards the free food.

God I hope this circus would end soon. I really wanted to get back to my room, away from everyone, away from my thoughts.

The reports came in today by courier that concluded my insanity.
Insanity.
That's how I like to define my thoughts and feelings.

My parents didn't want me to know about it for various reasons, like my birthday, and did their best in hiding that khadi coloured file from me, but they couldn't. I had seen the courier long before they did. And I had also anticipated these results the moment those tests were done on me.

I faked a smile and slowly ate my dinner, trying to focus on the music and lyrics of the song in the background instead of the overwhelming anxiety that I was suppressing inside.

"Aanya isn't it?" A hand thrust out towards me, snapping me out of my disturbing thoughts. I turned towards the face that the hand led me to see a grinning boy. I don't see any reason behind that grin. This party was deadly boring as it is. I continued to look at him deadpan as he awkwardly retracted his hand towards himself. He cleared his throat and spoke again "I'm Ashton. We... Uhh... We go to the same school, but I'm not in your grade."

I continued to stare at him blankly. Realising that I wouldn't speak, he continued "I'm a grade ahead of you and we're going together. Didn't your parents tell you that?"

That, caught my attention.

"Going where exactly?" I asked. He switched from his nervous state and smiled softly. "ThankGod you're finally talking. I thought that you weren't really listening and I ..."
"Will you just answer my question? Where are we going?" I cut him off rudely and that shut him up. Not before he spoke again after 2 seconds.

Goshh, does he ever Shutup?

"Orlando. Our families have decided to shift there and start a business together because they..."

I wasn't even listening anymore. I stood up and stormed off towards my parents, who were happily chatting away with Jade's parents, my uncle and aunt.

"Why are we shifting to Orlando???!!" I yelled at them, not even apologising for interrupting their oh-so-chirpy conversation. That made everyone in the party still. Nobody spoke a word, not even my 80 year old grandma who was being annoying with her talking all night long. Maybe its the fear of my wrath or the potential for some gossip from our family drama that would soon ensue.
"Aanya darling, can we discuss this after 11 pm or maybe inside your room? " my mom replied softly in sheer annoyance, faking a smile to tell everyone that nothing was wrong. But everyone knew that everything was a mess right now, and they, they dwelled in our misery. I spoke nothing but continued glaring at my parents. They were looking at me, waiting for a reply which I did give them after a minute or so. "Not. My. Room." I said, rather whispered, placing careful emphasis on each and every word. I wanted them to know how pathetic this situation was.

Afterall, shifting from a place where your once happy memories thrived was not a great idea afterall. And not for my "insanity".