30. Caleb

Santana's cheeks were stained wet and her hands trembled beneath mine, but she didn't say anything. Just stared out the window, her eyes locked onto the ambulance. I tried to remain calm so as not to freak her out, but on the inside, my anxiety was on hyper-drive. Marlow hadn't regained consciousness when I performed CPR but the paramedics said she was breathing. If she'd died...if I hadn't done anything...I couldn't have that on my conscious. It was seeing Santana's desperation that unfroze me and moved me to help. Otherwise...

"She'll be okay," I said, as much for her as for myself. 

Behind us, I could see Jonah's car following. I kept glancing at all my mirrors waiting for the inevitable police car to follow us to the hospital but it never came. I guess the ambulance was so close to us that the cops hadn't made it in time. Thank God. If dad found out I was involved in something like this he'd lose his mind. It was bad enough that I wasn't with Farrah anymore-something they were beginning to suspect-but to be interrogated by the cops would be akin to suicide for them.

We got to the hospital in minutes and raced through the emergency room doors. Santana immediately went to the counter to ask about Marlow and I waited next to Jonah, who looked white as a sheet. He looked like he was about to be sick.

"No!" Santana yelled and my stomach instantly tightened. Oh, no.

"She doesn't have any family. I'm...we're all she's got. Please. I need to know how she is," I heard her say. The life returned to my body and I could breathe again.

"She's being taken care of right now and I promise I'll inform you of any changes as they happen. Please take a seat and wait for the doctor, miss." The clerk's voice was soft and patient. I could tell she'd dealt with many agitated and scared people and was glad she hadn't acted snarky. What little I knew of Santana was enough to tell me she wasn't going to take any bullshit. She walked away from the counter and went to sit on one of the hard plastic chairs by the vending machines. There weren't a lot of people in the room, maybe six or seven, and most seemed too preoccupied with themselves to notice us. Jonah and I followed her and I was about to take the seat next to her when he slipped past me, pushing me to the side a little, and sat down, immediately taking her hand in his. I glared at him, but his eyes were on her, and I had no choice but to take a seat across from them, which annoyed me.

"She'll be fine," he whispered to her over and over. Much like I had in the car earlier. I hadn't realized how annoying his voice was until now.

"Jonah, do you think you can go get me something do drink?" Santana said in a tight voice.

"The vending machine is right behind you."

"No. Like a coffee or something. Please?"

"Yeah. Of course." He got up, but not before glowering at me, and walked towards the little hallway that led deeper into the hospital.

The second he was out of sight, Santana got up from her chair and sat beside me. "Thank you, Caleb. For trying to save her. No matter what happens...Thank you." She looked at me with such intensity, I had to look away, embarrassed.

"It was nothing," I shrugged. Without warning, her arms wrapped around my neck and she pulled me into a tight hug that smelled of coconut. It was quick; so quick I didn't have time to hug her back.

"It was everything," she whispered into my neck, and pulled away before my arms had even lifted.

I nodded, though I still felt a little embarrassed. "Hey, I'm sorry about showing up like a crazy jealous boyfriend earlier," I apologized to change the subject.

"No. I'm sorry for just leaving you at the party. We weren't supposed to be gone for too long."

"Where did you go? I saw you guys pull out of this really sketchy street and then drive to the motel." I'd thought she had gone to meet some guy and it had pissed me off. Not because I really was jealous, but because if anyone I knew had seen her, our whole plan would be shot.