35. Santana

"You don't think your new boyfriend will get jealous if we show up together, do you?" Zealand teased from the passenger seat, as I drove us to school Monday morning. The sky was overcast and I could feel a chill in the air that meant the season was turning. Pretty soon, all we'd be getting would be rainy days and slippery streets.

"Shut up. You can't mention what I told you last night to anyone, got it?" Zealand wasn't a snitch, but I had to take precautions.

"Don't worry, weirdo. Your secret is safe blah, blah." He smiled at me, but there was an edge to his voice. It sounded like disapproval.

"Hmm. Maybe it was a bad idea to bring you with me. Should've just made you take the bus and suffer the harassment of all those freshmen girls that think you're 'just, like, the coolest!'" I made my voice high pitched and gave him my perkiest smile, to which he shook his head in horror. He was too broody for his own good. Of course all the girls liked him. He was mysterious and handsome, with the way his floppy hair fell into his eyes and how he always swept it back like an unaffected angel. Even I had fallen for it before I met Jasper. Jasper. The name snuck up on me and immediately made my stomach churn. I wonder what he's doing right now.

I shook my head but couldn't clear my thoughts of the memory that began to bubble to the surface. It was on a day much like this that I'd found myself hiding in a pantry in Zealand's kitchen, trying to catch my breath. Zealand stood mere inches from me, smiling shyly, his lips still glistening from the kiss we'd just shared. It had been awkward and sweet, and I could tell he wanted to get it over with quickly. My head was still spinning a little, like the bottle we'd used to play the game. It had landed pointing right at Zealand and Marlow had nudged me in the ribs, not hiding her tipsy giggles. If my violent blush didn't alert the world of my crush on Zealand, I was sure it was obvious when we got out of the pantry, me, smiling like an idiot. But it wasn't Marlow's face who greeted me as we stepped into the kitchen. It was a face I'd never seen before, beautiful and hard like marble. Jasper. I never believed in love at first sight, but damn if I didn't believe in it the second my eyes landed on him.

The memory dissolved as I forced my mind to focus on the road. I wasn't ready to relive that night. Not if I wanted to survive the day.

We got to school and walked to the gallery, where I knew Maria would probably be with the theatre nerds. They were still working on the set for the play, and Ginger had asked Zealand to help paint some props.

"Well looks like you won't have to worry about him noticing you today." Zealand motioned for the row of lockers lining the wall just outside the gallery on the other side.

Fury. Pure unadulterated fury coursed through me, deafening me as I watched Caleb lean into Farrah, pinning her to the wall with a look that begged for her approval. He licked his lips and leaned in closer while she giggled and turned her head. A desperate sense of betrayal took a hold of my body, and I began to shake with rage. Clenching my fists, I left Zealand and walked up to them unthinkingly.

"Hey, Caleb." I'd tried my best to keep my voice steady, though I knew it was futile.

Farrah looked down at me like I was a bug on her windshield and Caleb didn't even turn when he spoke. "Santana."

"Can I talk to you for a sec?"

Reluctantly, he pushed off from the wall and followed me to the end of the hall.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" I hissed as soon as we were out of earshot.

"Getting my girl back, what's it look like I'm doing?" he snapped back.

"You are supposed to be pretending to be with me, remember? What if one of Jasper's friends saw you with Miss America over there, huh?"

"Your loser of a boyfriend doesn't have friends here."