36. Caleb

Santana was right. Farrah had snuck up on me out of nowhere, and I'd let myself get carried away. She'd walked up to me in that same long legged way she always did and smiled, asking me to help her with the set. At first, she seemed nervous, holding her hands behind her back timidly.

"Hey, Caleb. How are you?"

I was shocked to hear her voice directed at me. It was still as sweet.

"Uh, hey. What's up?" I couldn't have spoken louder than a whisper, and I could've kicked myself. I cleared my throat, trying to sound more confident. More relaxed.

"I'm really sorry about...your friend. It really was an accident."

"What?" It was the last thing I'd expected to hear. I guess I was expecting an apology and some groveling for me to take her back, so I was a little disoriented.

"You know. Santana." She spat her name out bitterly.

"Oh, yeah. She's fine. Don't worry about it."

"Good!" She smiled again and walked a little closer to me. "Listen, I was wondering if you could do me a favor. Could you come by tomorrow to help us move this stuff to the theatre? We need all the muscle we can get."

That's when I saw it. The same look she always gave me when she was about to tell me she loved me. Her eyes lit up and her smile grew wider. It was all the prompting I needed. The nervousness I'd felt at first vanished and I leaned into her, resting my arm on the wall behind her.

"For you, anything." I said and she giggled. And then I heard my name from a very different, very pissed off voice. And then Farrah walked away as easily as she'd come, and the moment was ruined.

But it hadn't been Santana's fault. It had been mine and Farrah had slipped through the cracks once again.

What was she doing coming onto me like that? Could this be proof that the plan was working?

When we were together, she had always been so mature. She'd never been the jealous type, even when I talked to other girls. She was sure she had me, so there was no reason for her to be jealous. But today, I saw the jealousy flare up in her eyes when I gave Santana that kiss. It had been stupid, impulsive, and I risked what I'd expected to be a sure kick in the crotch for it, but it had worked. Farrah had gotten jealous. We were on to something, and I was going to milk it for all it was worth.

"You've already apologized, and I've already said I'm over it, Caleb

"You've already apologized, and I've already said I'm over it, Caleb." Santana didn't look at me as she said this, but there was an edge to her voice which I'd learned from experience meant she was still peeved at me. She'd kind of ignored me the whole day at school, and I'd decided I'd give her space to cool off, to avoid looking like we were fighting.

We were in my car now, driving the forty minutes it took to get downtown where my mother's favorite dress boutiques were. I'd cornered Nanny yesterday and forced her to get me an appointment with one of the ladies who worked there. Well, I'd cornered her and forced her to tell me where, how, and what the hell to do about this dress situation and she'd given me all the information I needed to know about dress shopping, ever. It was kind of dizzying.