49. Santana

Farrah St. James pushed me down the fucking stairs.

At least that's what everyone will think, no matter how much I deny it. Not that I'll be trying very hard to do so. Caleb looked like he was going to blow a fuse when he came to the infirmary. The way he looked at her was almost as satisfying as the way she looked when he cornered her. The truth was, I didn't know what happened. I didn't really believe her capable of committing murder, no matter how much she hated me. Although, she had hit me with that pressure hose that one time...Either way, I was going to tread eggshells around her from now on. Couldn't be too careful. That wouldn't stop me from trying to make her life a little miserable, though. The plan was still on.

My head was killing me in the morning and my arm was numb. There was a weight on it, so heavy, I groggily wondered if maybe it had been more than a sprain to my wrist. Until I noticed why it felt so heavy. Caleb's body weight was crushing my entire left side, and I was sinking into the mattress, practically underneath him.

I shook him as hard as I could, trying to wake him up. "Caleb, wake up. Caleb!"

He gasped awake. "W-what's wrong? Are you okay?" he took my face into his hands, his eyes blinking rapidly.

"You're crushing me. That's what's wrong. And you need to go home."

"Oh," he sighed deeply, either out of relief or out of sleepiness, I couldn't tell, and put a hand to his chest. 

"Sorry, I guess I fell asleep

"Sorry, I guess I fell asleep." His speech was slurred with sleep, and he moved slowly off me so as not to hurt me, making my old mattress creak loudly. He remained on the bed, though, only a few inches between us. In the dark, he could have been someone else.

"What time is it?" he asked. I clicked my phone on and squinted at the brightness of the sun in my palm.

"It's 5:13."

"AM?" he exclaimed.

"Keep your voice down," I hissed.

He rubbed his eyes and yawned widely, making me yawn too. They really were contagious. I felt a little guilty at kicking him out, but this was the perfect time for him to leave. It was usually the time Jasper left. I guess I had an internal clock when there was the added weight of another body on my bed, to wake me up at this time so I could wake him up to go before anyone caught us. The last time Jasper was here had been almost a year ago, but I couldn't get used to not having him next to me after he'd slept a whole week here. It had taken me weeks to have a proper night's sleep without him. I could still close my eyes and pretend he was lying by my side about to turn to me and take my hand like he used to. As if nothing changed at all.

"Let me sleep for a couple more minutes."

"No, you need to go."

"Okay, okay. I'll go..."

Aaand he fell asleep again, great.

Knowing I wasn't going to be able to fall back asleep as easily as Caleb had, I crawled to the foot of my bed and jumped over his socked feet. Maybe he'd be gone after I showered.