Chapter 5

Maybe you have to know darkness before you can appreciate the light

__________

Hogwarts, 17th March 1945

Albus gasped finding himself laying on the grass again, the castle in front of him.
He didn't mean to escape, he didn't want to fail again. But he was alone and he underestimated his mission.
He just hoped to get another chance.

He observed the little powerful devices in his hand. It knew what his mission was, it should have taken him to some important moment when he could have a chance to succeed.

Albus just had few moments to deal with Susan and she didn't believe him. Of course she didn't. He hoped he put some doubts into her mind. She knew about Riddle's dark side.

But what could he do to persuade her? Maybe he had to fight in the crucial moment and save her life. Or kidnapping her?

Albus was so frustrated because he didn't know the whole story. The old man didn't tell him how she died, when precisely it happened. At least he was right that she existed, that Riddle had a girlfriend.

The boy punched the grass and stood up.

It was a warm morning, he heard some human noises, probably there was some classes in the open air.

He followed the voices hiding behind trees and noticed a group of young students around an unknown wizard. No face was familiar to the young Potter, so he guessed he had to go back into the castle.

Doors were open so it was easier to sneak inside.
Avoiding the main staircases, he walked to the dungeons.

Soon the bell ran and students flooded into the corridors.
Albus automatically looked for Susan, even if he was kinda intimidated at the thought of meeting her again. Perhaps she even forgot about him.

He didn't find her.

He didn't want to ask for help again and annoy other strangers. So he just hid himself for most of the day, exploring the castle that cointained so much history, those walls that still couldn't imagine all the darkness and destruction they would have known in the future during the war.
But the one who cause that war was already walking on those same corridors.

Albus spotted his target in the afternoon and followed the girl from distance, waiting for her to exit her classes, observing her walking with her housemates, talking to a serious Riddle.

The boy felt a weird fury seeing the future Voldemort walking like he was already owning the world, so popular amongst those people who should have imagined that there was a monster into him. So was it possible that the spark who unleashed the evil was just an ordinary girl?

Albus tried not to think too much about it. He started feeling very confused.

Riddle looked just human. He had to attend classes, to deal with annoying younger students, to have meals with everyone else. He just looked like a model student, determinated to make his duties as Head Boy, always polite to the superiors and indifferent towards the others except for Susan.

There was an explicit complicity between them that made Albus deeply uneasy. He needed drastic ways, maybe breaking her heart, in order to separate her from Riddle. What if Riddle would have found out his intentions and crossed his path?

Albus didn't want to fight him, he knew he had no chances against him. And his admiration for his father could just grow. But he wasn't brave as the famous Harry Potter. He was just the son who was a victim of his parent's popularity and needed to proove to himself he worthed something.

He was looking for greatness maybe in a bad way, putting all history at the stake. Also Riddle must have felt the same. And wrong choices led him to the blackest darkness.