Chapter 15

Oh I know that this love is pain
But we can't get it from out these veins
No

So I'll get the lights and you'll lock the doors
We ain't leaving this room til we both feel more
Don't walk away, don't roll your eyes
They say love is pain
Well, darling, let's hurt tonight

So I'll get the lights and you'll lock the doorsWe ain't leaving this room til we both feel moreDon't walk away, don't roll your eyesThey say love is painWell, darling, let's hurt tonight

_________

Susan had to read many times that short letter to believe she understood its meaning. The silver badge she was holding in her hand wasn't enough to persuade her.
She was a prefect.
A huge amount of new possibilities and duties opened in front her for the upcoming new academic year. And her untold dream came true. She couldn't have taken that another girl became prefect alongside with Tom.

Giggling, she took his letter, that she always kept last to enjoy it better. There was no need to guess he was the prefect boy. But he didn't know yet when he wrote that missive.
She let herself lying on her bed, reading carefully his few lines.

Dearest Susan,
I am really grateful for your latest long letter, that came as a breeze of light in this dark boring place I'm stuck in and I'm afraid it affected also this parchment.
I hope you are fine there and there is no need to say that I really miss you too.
I am making the countdown to the time we will be reunited, luckily not so far anymore. And I guess this is the last missive we share.
Really looking forward to meet you again,
Truthfully yours,
TMR

Her eyes lingered on those final words, her mind imagining his hand moving confidently on that same parchment.
She already packed  for her departure and couldn't wait anymore to leave that awful cage.
She carefully put the letters and the badge into the pockets of her travel clothes and mentally said goodbye to her room.

"Why so content?" The arrogant bad voice of the blind harpy came from down the stairs "It makes me wanna pin you on the wall by your thumbs".
"You don't have time for that anymore" Susan walked passed her with mere annoyance "I'm leaving. Lucretia is coming to pick me..".
Promptly the bell rang and Susan couldn't help but giggle, making the old witch looking uglier.
"Don't force Gabby to write any letter" Susan added from the door "You must have learned by now that I never reply".
The old woman screamed insults, but the girl noisily closed the door behind her, deeply breathing the addictive air of freedom.
"Granny seems polite as usual" Lucretia commented sarcastically.
"I just hope she'll curse herself and rid this world of her bloody existence" Susan mumbled bitterly.

Wandering  in Knockturn Alley made her feel fully alive again.
She was early, so she had time to explore, losing herself in daydreams.
Suddenly something grabbed her waist and pulled her into a dark corner. A big hand covered her mouth before she could scream and her back hit something hard, that turned into the arms' body.
"Shh, it's me" a familiar soft voice whispered into her ear.
Her mouth was then free to gape.
She turned to face Tom, who grinned widely.
Without a second thought, she hugged him with joy "You're here".
"Of course I'm here" he chuckled "Glad to see you're happy to be here as I am".
She showed him her badge to hide her embarass for having not being able to stop helself "Can you believe it?".
"I always believed in you" he said softly "Will you ever learn to stop undervalue yourself?".