Chapter 9- Student Body Pain

About a month later, when it was almost time for Barthandelus to retire, many teachers announced their candidacy to be the next headmaster. It coincided with the student body elections, so at school it was like everyone had caught the political bug. There were posters everywhere, and people talking nonstop. You didn't know what to make of it.

Today, which was a Monday, was the official address for everyone running for the student body. In addition to the president, V.P. secretary and treasurer, each grade level had a representative that would be chosen. In your particular grade, Gavin, Selphie, and Yuna were running for the position. Hope was running for president, with Yuj as his running mate. It was a very strange pairing.

"Everything is so political today," you said as you looked around.

"I know," agreed Yuffie. "The address is at 9:15, so it's gonna interrupt our first class and will probably run into the second. During the address, we hear from the candidates and their plans for candidacy. Then there will be a question-and-answer segment."

You were about to ask how she knew all that, but then saw she was holding an information pamphlet. "Well, see you later, then," you said, waving.

When you got into the room, Zack was sitting on his desk reading the same itinerary that Yuffie had been reading. Since Yuna wasn't in class today, or Gavin, or Sora, you'd have to be partners with either Glitch or Mishaela. Or someone else, but come on, is that even a question?

"Morning," Zack said to you.

"Morning," you replied. "What are we doing today in class?"

"Since we're dealing with a shorter class time than usual, we'll be covering Punnett squares and dominant and recessive traits. It'll be an easy day for you kids."

"Oh, okay," you said as you headed to your seat.

"Don't worry, you won't need your partner for this," Zack said, practically reading your mind.

You nodded, and until it was time to go you just copied notes on whatever Zack wrote on the board.

At 9:15, you were escorted to the outdoor field, where football games and Field Day were usually held, to watch the official addresses. You stuck with Mishaela and Glitch, and Yuffie was able to find you from that. (Mishaela's highlights are hot pink. That's... kinda hard to miss.)

As the four of you settled in, a man (boy?) with a long brown ponytail walked past you, dressed in the uniform. He did a double-take, and looked straight at you. "Well, good morning, [name]," he said.

You frowned. "I'm sorry, have we met?"

"Briefly." He gave you a look that was very hard to read. "Irvine Kinneas. I work as a ranch hand at the ranch this school uses to practice horse events."

"Oh," you said, your memory rejuvenated. "Hello, Irvine. What are you doing here?"

"Running for presidential office, of course." He smiled at you, giving you a short nod. "Ladies love a president. I'm sure I'll have all of your votes." He winked as he walked off.

"I'm not a girl!" Glitch called after him.

You laughed. "Poor Glitch."

Meanwhile, everyone who was involved in the address was walking around on or near the stage, making sure everything was in order. You waved to Reiko, who was running for office for the freshmen. You were so proud of her.

~~~~~

"Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you all of our candidates for the upcoming election." Snow looked more official than he did when you all were classmates. Since he had a clear, easy to understand voice, he'd been chosen as the announcer for this thing.