Chapter 41: Warp Space Chronicles

The next morning, you awoke to pleasant smells you knew all too well: the smell of bread baking, and of ham frying, and they were so intoxicatingly beautiful that they dragged you out of bed and down to the cafeteria area, where Melusina and Thancred were hard at work making everyone breakfast. They seemed to have a system for getting everything done, at least, and it was impressive to see.

"Are those rolls almost done?" asked Melusina. "The water here is almost boiling, so it's almost time to drop the eggs in. Could you pass me the tray- and please tell me you're at least working on the holiday sauce?"

"Hollandaise, Melusina, and yes, it's right here," replied Thancred, sitting a bowl on the counter. "Eggs sliding down the upper tray, taking biscuits out now and putting in cinnamon rolls."

"Good, good!" Melusina smiled as she stopped the eggs sliding with her hand. "When you're done, please start the juicer!"

"Can do."

"Whoa, they work together so well..." you said to yourself. "I wonder if they had a plan, or if it's just happening naturally?"

You walked in then, being welcomed by all the warm, inviting scents of breakfast- and only that, as the two adults cooking were far too busy to notice you. This was fine, though, and so you sat in one of the chairs at one of the tables to watch just as the juicer began to whir.

"What all do we still need to start?" asked Thancred.

"I don't believe we've toasted the English muffins yet for the eggs benedict... pancake... oh! Small human!" Melusina almost dropped her ladle upon seeing you.

"Small human..?" asked Thancred. "Oh! Hello! And good morning."

"Good morning. You know I'm bigger than you, right?" you dryly asked Melusina.

"Yes, yes. But... small as in years. Breakfast is almost ready!"

"Yeah, I was just watching you guys work together. Pretend like I'm not even here," you waved a hand.

"Okay, well, I-" Thancred frowned. "I thought you said the pancakes weren't done? There's a whole plate of them right here."

"Oh! Perhaps I forgot." Melusina looked around. "We will be ready sooner than I thought! Please start the scrambled eggs, Thancred!"

"Right." He smiled, grabbing a carton of eggs.

The kitchen area really did smell amazing, as the two readied more and more food, and sat it out on the counter between the kitchen and tables. And it wasn't like it was haphazardly pieced together, either; the foods you were seeing were beautifully put together. Not of the "so beautiful it's hard to eat" variety, but it was all very cleanly pieced together.

"Oh, shi- Melusina, can you finish up the scrambled eggs? I forgot the cups!" Thancred said worriedly.

"Leave it to me!" Melusina nodded, hopping down from her step-stool (she'd been trying to get something out of a high cabinet- most likely a platter or bowl).

Thancred hurried back, nervously balancing a platter with small glasses on it, trying his best to make sure they didn't fall. Once he'd sat them down, he took over for the eggs again, and plated them just as Melusina finished her last waffle.

"We did it!" she said, her arms in the air. "I can't believe we actually pulled that off..."

"It's because we make a great team," Thancred told her.

"Yes, of course~" the two shared a quick kiss then, before looking out to the cafeteria tables.

"Let's get some plates. Everyone should be getting down here pretty soon," Thancred said then.