Chapter 39: The Battle of the Fifth Crystal

"Why do I have this really strong suspicion I've seen that guy before..?" asked Hope.

"We have." You were reaching far into your memory banks for this one. "We saw him at..."

When your mind got to the beginning of this school year, you froze. There was a party at the restaurant that Logan's parents owned. Riku had a band-

"The guy from Riku's band that not even Sora had ever met, Landen," you finished. "I always felt something was weird about the guy..."

"What could you possibly even know about this crystal?" asked Lima, in that familiar sassy tone that left no room for response. "These are matters that do not concern a random civilian-"

As soon as Lima took a step forward, barriers of blue magic surrounded the beach and parking lot.

"I'm sorry, perhaps my tone was too... passive the first time," Landen said then. "Let me clarify. If you could hand over that crystal willingly, that'd be great, because then there wouldn't have to be any bloodshed. I hear people find it unbearable when they lose their friends."

You squinted. "Don't you know anything about what happened last school year? Why in the world would you want to help such evil people? Everything we hold dear would be destroyed in the process!"

"In addition to the things that have already been destroyed," added Lightning. "You can't possibly think your school is still standing, for one."

"It seems there's a bit of a misunderstanding." Landen put a hand under his chin. "It would seem that you think I'm aligned with the party that kidnapped several of you and experimented on you, and who have unleashed mutant hell on much of our world."

"So... you're not?" asked Selphie.

"The party in question seeks world domination, but my aspirations are not so grandiose. By the way, have you ever thought about the fact that their goals are so vague?"

"What do you mean?" asked Arrigan, now intrigued.

"Fear, power, world domination... these are merely tools to attain a farther ambition. One must ask themselves, why is it that they seek world domination; what would someone need that power for?" Landen thought some more then, "That is something even I don't know. Perhaps they'll end up being a common enemy between us, in time..."

"Wait, so why do you need the crystal then?" asked Selphie, confused.

"When one gathers these special crystals and summons their power at the point of origin, they gain the power to perform one execution that cannot be done without extreme magical power. I search to gain this power to summon Dark Force."

The only reason you realized Kyra was around was because of the weird, dissatisfied squeaky sound she made when he said that.

"Dark Force, you mean like, the being that its sole reason to exist is to destroy the entire world? That Dark Force?" she asked. "Tell me I'm wrong."

"You are not. Dark Force is necessary to wipe all of this accursed humanity from this world, and start anew, with only the pure surviving, to turn this into a world of justice."

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not how Dark Force works." Kyra folded her arms. "We'd all die. Every single one of us. Including you."

"Hm. Is that so?" Landen looked unphased. "I had a feeling that might be the case. But if that is the cost I must pay for cleansing the world, so be if. Now, are you going to hand over that crystal-"

He began to unsheath the katana that had been resting at his side.

"-or shall I take it by force? It is not just I who demands the crystal; the Church of Dark Force likely has a few words about the issue, as well..." he gestured behind himself, where dozens of people wearing black robes were approaching, weapons drawn.