Chapter 1- The Return

It was the middle of August. The days were hot, everything felt sweaty, and it was officially time for you to go back to school.

After a summer-long vacation in Bodhum, enjoying the surf, sand, and sun, it was finally time to return to academics. And you were okay with that; since school let out in May, and not June, you had a longer vacation than a lot of other schools and you felt it wearing thin. Finally, it was time to begin your second year of high school.

In the driver's seat of the car you found yourself in was your legal guardian, Cloud Strife, who kept his eyes on the road as if his life depended on it. (Well, it did, but you know what I mean.) You sat in the passenger's seat, eagerly taking in all the sights. Cloud had picked you up from the train station, which you'd never used, so this whole route was foreign to you.

Behind you, on the right side of the car, sat your best friend and right-hand troublemaker Yuffie Kisaragi, looking incredibly bored. Yuffie wasn't one for long car trips, especially ones where Cloud was the driver. She was wearing an orange sundress from the seaside town, and her short black hair was hanging freely as usual.

Finally, next to Yuffie sat your biological cousin and Cloud's adopted daughter, Reiko Takare-Strife. He and Tifa had adopted the girl so you two wouldn't be separated, since she was your only living relative. Reiko was a year younger than you, and hadn't gone on vacation with you, opting instead to get used to Cloud and Tifa, and the town in which she'd be attending school. She wore a white blouse with black shorts, and checkered suspenders, so you knew her fashion sense definitely hadn't changed. Her black hair, with turquoise streaks, was pulled into a ponytail.

Today was orientation, and Cloud was taking you three straight to school to attend.

"Are we-" Yuffie started to ask.

"Does it even look like we're there yet, Yuffie?" asked Cloud. He didn't raise his voice, but you could tell he was starting to get irritated. She'd been asking the question ever since you'd left the train station.

"I guess not." Yuffie slumped in her seat.

"So, anyway," Reiko said, trying to ease the awkwardness now present in the car, "what do we do at this orientation thing?"

"That's easy," you said. "First, we listen to boring speeches from the headmaster and a few teachers, then we get our uniforms and some important papers, which include our schedules and our room assignments in the dorms, and that'll tell you who your roomie will be."

"Move-in day is tomorrow," added Yuffie.

"Oh. That sounds easy enough."

"We're here." Cloud pulled in front of the quad, where your favorite pinkette, Serah Farron was waiting for you. She waved eagerly when you pulled up, and ran up to the car.

"Hi, Cloud," she said when she got there.

"Good morning, Serah," he replied. "Is there any reason you just ran to my car like a maniac? You saw [name] and Yuffie in Bodhum."

"Yeah, but that was like, two days ago," Serah said. "I'm so happy to see you guys again! Ready for the new year?"

You stepped out of the car and gave her a smile. As you shut the door you replied, "I was born ready."

"I can't wait to see everyone else!" Yuffie said excitedly. You, Yuffie, Serah, Rikku, Yuna, Selphie, Jaiden, Madelyn, and Vanille had been the ones on vacation together. Everyone else you hadn't seen all summer, and you had to admit you were just as eager as Yuffie to see them all.

"I'll be back to pick you up at three," Cloud said.

"Okay. We'll be here." You nodded toward him, then headed inside the school with Serah.