Chapter 24- A Study In Mechanics

"When the Crescents and Caius took you all into captivity, they were trying to build some superweapon; something with which world domination would be possible. Seeing that Caius reappeared again, in pursuit of an airship with one of the subjects on board, I don't think it's farfetched to believe that they might be attempting to build that weapon again. With the added brute force of all the mutated animals and creatures, they'd have a lot more defense and brute force on their side."

You, Logan, and Lisandra watched Quistis pace around the room slowly as she spoke.

"So, the hypothesis is that one of them activated this chain of events, which means that we have to stop it; that's why we're collecting the crystals. But we also should make sure that they can't immediately override what we did to stop them; to do that, we'd have to know how they started it in the first place." She turned to you all, "Do we know that yet?"

"I haven't heard," replied Logan.

"Oh! Uh... I think I remember Lulu and Cloud talking about something like that," replied Lisandra. "You could go talk to them."

"Look at you, being contributive," Logan teased his cousin.

"Whatever. I have to be getting back to my patient soon."

When everyone dispersed, you decided to check on the guys rebuilding the ship, to see if they needed help with anything. They'd been at it for a week now, give or take, so you figured they were done with all the heavy-duty stuff and you could just help with the aesthetics. Approaching the ship, it was turned the correct way and actually looked like a ship, so it looked like you were right after all.

Snow was the first to see you. "Hey! What's up? I heard you got your memory back."

"Everything's here," you affirmed, tapping your temple. "How are things coming along?"

"Well, Maqui was a big help with the engine," replied Snow. "That's all fixed. As of now we're just repairing some outer damage that was caused by those flying things, and your fall, and we'll be done here."

You nodded. "And the other ship?"

Snow cringed. "I don't think we'll be able to save that one. Cloud wants us to check it again just in case, but I don't see it getting fixed. We don't have that kind of time."

"I see. Well, I came to help!" You held out your arms, "Any jobs for me?"

"Are you sure you're up for that?" asked Bodie in the distance.

"Sure, as long as you don't launch any more wrenches at my head," you replied curtly.

Bodie shut up.

"You can help over here!" Sora yelled and waved.

You smiled. "So I see that there's someone here who doesn't doubt me."

Sora was on the other side of the ship with Riku, Roxas, and Irvine; they must have all been replacing the outside of the ship because there were still a few bare pieces around. "It looks like you guys are almost done," you noted. "What do you need me for?"

"Well, uh... it's a little embarrassing to admit..." Irvine said, taking off his hat.

"See, we were done with this in three days," added Riku. "Like, completely done. But then one of the girls... I can't remember which, came around and pointed out that somehow we'd left gaps between the paneling, so we had to do it all over."

"Girls are always better at noticing that sort of thing," admitted Sora ashamedly. "So, can you make sure we don't do it again? Oh, and if we do, let us know!"