Chapter 38: We Have Arrived

On the fifth day, you and Hope went to go get hot dogs.

"Hey, Hope," you said after you'd paid.

"Hm?" he asked, his mouth full.

"Is this a date?"

Hope started choking on his food.

"Sorry!" You began patting his back. "I didn't mean to catch you so off-guard, but I was just curious. Just the two of us, going to get food together. When Brecken asked if we wanted some company, or to be driven, you were pretty adamant about us coming here on our own. I'm just saying: that sounds incredibly date-y."

"You're right." Hope nodded. "Do you... want it to be a date?"

[Option 1: Friend]

"I wouldn't be offended if that was your intent," you replied. "But if you want my opinion: I like us being friends. We have a bond, you know? A bond that blossomed from the crappy situation that we found ourselves in last school year. And I think that's something that transcends a romantic relationship."

"That's exactly how I feel," Hope said, smiling. "I'm glad you understand. And I'm glad to call you my friend."

"Ditto. Even though this whole mission business makes it hard for us to communicate."

"I never thought I'd say this, but I miss just being a regular teenager," Hope said with a small laugh.

"...were any of us ever really regular teenagers though?" you asked.

"Probably not..." Hope replied, before his phone vibrated. "A moment, please."

"Sure, go ahead." You nodded.

[Option 2: Romance]

"Well..." you started.

Why couldn't you think of what to say? You'd never been the type of girl to be coy. You'd grown up speaking your mind- had to, especially once you started studying under Cloud. Besides, this was Hope. One of the few boys on this mission that wouldn't give you a hard time if he didn't return your feelings.

Just say it, you told yourself, but you could only edit a small squeak.

"Oh... that was an awkward question, wasn't it?" asked Hope. "Forgive me. You don't have to answer."

"But!" you said then, quickly, getting his attention.

"I don't know why I'm being an awkward bean. I like you, Hope. And I know you like me too 'cause of all your comforting during that superweapon fiasco. I noticed that you kissed my cheek."

"Oh. You did..." Hope was blushing a bit.

"I'd love more proper dates after we save the world," you chuckled.

Hope held both your hands in his. "I'd love that," he said, before his phone vibrated. "May I take this?"

"By all means." You nodded.

~~~~~

"That was Noctis," Hope explained to you as he stood, gesturing for you to follow along. "According to him, Rasa has asked us to meet at a specific location for some type of meeting. He didn't say why, but the tone of his voice leads me to believe we have a lead on this crystal."

"Hey, that's pretty rad, it's been under a week," you pointed out. "That team that was working on the data and whatnot is really proficient, huh?"

"Remember, they'd been working on it since the first day," Hope pointed out. "Anyway, we're actually pretty close to the place, so I told Noctis to not worry about picking us up."