Chapter 27- The Inner Layers of Prompto

"How far of a swim are we looking at?" asked Kyra.

"I'm told that it isn't far. Just a few feet down, through a cave, back up again." Prompto shrugged.

"I can see the cave from here," agreed Maceida, nodding. "Okay, then..."

She took a step back, and got a running start as she leapt into the water.

You all exchanged confused looks as you followed.

On the other side, the walls had these glowing veins within them that illuminated the water and the area; it didn't give off that much light, but it was enough to see. You were able to hear the sound of running water in the distance, in the opposite direction of the first waterfall.

You tried it. "Does anyone else hear that, or?"

"If by 'that' you mean a waterfall in the opposite direction of the other waterfalls, then yes," replied Kyra. "Maybe we should start heading in that direction, for starters..."

You did so.

"So, what exactly is this 'invasion of monsters' thing?" asked Prompto. "Do they all just spawn from nowhere?"

"Pretty much, I guess," you replied. "I couldn't fathom how they could be created so quickly, the biological way. Or at least... I'm trying my best not to."

"It's probably best that you don't," agreed Prompto. "After you get ahold of this crystal, then what?"

"We leave," replied Maceida, who was ahead of the both of you at this point. "Well, as soon as we receive word of another activated crystal, that is, and we'll continue this way until we've collected them all, and are able to put a stop to this... confusion."

"I see." Prompto nodded.

"Why do you ask?" Maceida didn't seem to be as defensive this time. Looks like Noel was right about him growing on her.

"Well, like Light told you, I used to be a student at these guys' school. I like Gran Pulse, but I was considering moving back into town. I've taken the privilege of not potentially being eaten for breakfast entirely for granted."

"So you have." Maceida looked back, giggling a little, before heading off.

"Was that... was that just a giggle?" asked Snow with a chuckle.

You'd reached the waterfall at this point, and it really was amazing. "Whoa..." you said.

"Ooh, look over here!" Kyra pointed. "There's a lot of light coming from over here! I'm willing to bet anything that that's where the crystal is!"

"But there's no path leading in that direction," pointed out Yuna.

"Right, there's just where we came, and that path over there," agreed Snow. "Maybe that path curves around and ends up in there?"

"Worth a try," agreed Kyra.

"Wait..." Maceida held a hand up, and walked toward a crevice from which light was pouring in. "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

"That light looks incredibly radioactive?" guessed Snow.

"No, you shit." She took another look at the crevice before turning sideways and beginning to try to inch through. She then stopped however, not being able to progress any farther. "Damn it..." she muttered, looking down at her body, particularly her chest.

"Is something wrong, Lieutenant Cambridge?" asked Snow.

"It's Maceida. And, yeah..." softer, she continued, "this crack and my tits don't mix..."