Prologue

Prologue

Ravenclaw Castle, the Glens of Scotland, April, sometime in the 10th century

It was a blustery night when Lord Ravenclaw became the father to his first and only child – born with the wrong anatomy and taking away the only thing the he had ever treasured.

"My Lord?" the healer had finished swaddling the child, who had finally ceased her cries. "Your daughter is healthy, and will need no support – your wife did well."

Rodbern Ravenclaw did not raise his head from where it rested on the fine sheets, large hands cradling his wife's small ones, usually warm and soft – now stiff and icy.

"Take the child away," he murmured, looking up slightly to move the damp curls back from Maida Ravenclaw's face "Leave us."

The healer nodded, leaving the Lord alone. He left the birthing room for the nursery, where a wet nurse waited. "I'm afraid we will need your services for longer than expected Miss Gray, until Lord Ravenclaw finds a permanent nurse for the child."

Miss Patience Gray took the baby girl and smiled mournfully down at her, seeing the striking resemblance to Rodbern. "Lady Ravenclaw requested I stay if she became bed ridden after the birth and for...other complications. I believe my mistress knew her unfortunate fate."

"Did Lady Ravenclaw tell you what she wished to name the child if it were to be a lass?"

Miss Gray nodded and laid the infant in an extravagantly decorated cradle, fabrics and lace of royal blue and grey spilling over and above, creating a small haven for the motherless child.

"Rowena," she spoke softly, and then stronger, for this babe would become a strong woman, she could tell. "Rowena."

A/N: Welcome to my new story! Some of you may know that I was actually going to stop writing fics, "The Years of Riddle" would have been my last one. And then I thought, what is life without Harry Potter? Not much of a life, thats what.

So! I returned to an old idea I've been treasuring for a while. There aren't a whole lot of Founders stories, and even fewer that focus mainly on Rowena Ravencalw - so here's one to add to the bunch.

A little disclaimer, if I get something wrong do tell me, it's hard to scour all corners of the internet for all the facts. However, do be polite about it please. Some things I have tweaked on purpose. Thank you for reading and please enjoy!

A nice way to end 2016, with a new story. Off we go, on our (last?) adventure!

Happy New Year, I look forward to sharing this story with you,

Rose

P.S I'm having some issues with wattpad, so if you're blue to read this not on the app do let me know because it's being glitchy as fuck and I'm over it.