Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six

         Winter was settling over Hogwarts, snow banks rising against the castle walls, Solstice celebrations were rampant through the halls: music rang and garlands of winter greens were hung. The Great Hall was a sight to be seen, decorated brilliantly by Helga and Salazar, but the true sight was Rowena. She was radiant, overjoyed with the success and happiness of her school. She was planning on staying for the holidays, with a few members of staff and a few students who could not go home, along with Helga and Salazar. She would have a feast at the Hufflepuff house, but mostly she would get to be in her chambers, reading, preparing for the following term. The night before most were to leave, she had never felt more fulfilled.

In the kitchens, Alva was cleaning up from that evening's dinner. It had been grand, a celebration of finishing the first term. She was tired, and giddy with the knowledge that early the next morning, after helping the kitchen girls set up breakfast for the students, she would be off, to somewhere Godric was keeping a secret. She cared little about where it would be, only that for two glorious weeks she and Godric could just be together.

As the girls tittered about their plans for their sort-of-break (they would still be needed to look after the castle and cook for the remaining students and founders) she tuned in at their mention of Godric.

"He is such a lovely man," gushed young Nan, "Always so kind, even to us."

Her friend Vivvie sighed deeply, "Lady Rowena is so lucky."

"Do not gossip, girls." Scolded Alva, tapping her wand to the kettle.

"Oh but do you not agree, Lady Alva?" cried Nan. "We think Godric may even be a bit sweet on you." The kitchen girls giggled, and Alva quickly brushed them off.

"Silliness," she said briskly, turning away from them. "Lord Gryffindor, as you are to speak of him, as you well know, is engaged to Lady Rowena. We are merely chums."

The girls continued to giggle, and Alva allowed them a smile. She prepared the four tea trays for the four founders, with their personalized flavours and treats, and handed them off to four of the girls. She ushered them towards the passage, laughing off their teasing, her heart racing. In the hall she bumped into a small form, and peered down to see the anxious face of Saidra Slytherin.

"Saidra, dear – are you looking for your brother?"

"Oh – no, I –" she seemed to freeze under the kind eyes of Alva, and the older woman softened.

"Would you like something sweet to take back to your friends? We have much leftover." She tugged a stricken Saidra across the threshold into the kitchens, and wrapped up a few tarts, lemon and raspberry and caramel, adding some wrapped candy she had made. She handed them to the girl with so much on her shoulders – Alva knew the Slytherin family was beyond wealthy, beyond powerful. She could not imagine being only eleven and having such a family history.

"Thank you." Whispered Saidra, clutching the sweets. Saidra inched out of the kitchens, cradling her goods, and rounded the corner to a tucked away staircase and ran halfway up – where a young boy awaited, fair as a field of young wheat, eyes lovely as a robins egg. He was flushed with excitement, the adventure of sneaking about. "Everett!" she is so happy to see her friend she nearly dropped the sweets, but quickly offered them to him. The two sat on the cramped spiral stairs, watching the carvings of someone's deceleration of love be encompassed by roses drawn on with coal and bewitched to bloom.

Roses drawn on with coal and bewitched to bloom encompass the two sat on the cramped spiral stairs, watching the carvings of someone's deceleration of love.