Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Twenty-Five

Rowena had grown up with the Slytherin sisters; attended their birthday parties and babysat them when the wet nurse was sneaking off with the cook. She had taught Lilith how to spell open locks, Camilla how to make flowers bloom in winter. She had passed her love of books onto young Saidra, who idolized Rowena with all her heart.

Since arriving at school Saidra had spent Tuesday afternoons after class in Rowena's chambers or in the library; today they found themselves in a far off corner of the library, and Rowena was explaining the magic of the place.

"...It has its own energy, Saidra – just like the moving staircases. The shelves reconfigure, move and bring forth what you may need. We might not find this corner again for months." Rowena was inspecting the shelves, reading up on wood and how it impacted wand making. A few students seemed improperly matched to their wands, and she was concerned it was stunting their learning. Heirlooms, the parents said – Rowena had never cared much for heirlooms, though her mothers diadem rested carefully away in her chambers.

Saidra was propped up in the small window seat, just her size; in her lap was a tomb on rituals to be done while standing ankle deep in water – the other heights and their rituals were around, but the shelves seemed to want her to read this one in particular. "But what if I want to find it again?"

"Perhaps you can ask the library to help you then."

The younger girl watched Rowena, intrigued by her elegance and intelligence. She had known her all her life, had watched her with awe as she spun Salazar – who was known to rarely play with his sisters or show much affection – in circles, practically falling at her feet. Only those who knew him well could tell just how devoted he was; Saidra had been jealous, as a child. Salazar never paid his sisters such attention. She noticed how he never brought up the family's thoughts on Muggles or the rare Mudblood, never spoke badly of anything really. Rowena was just, and fair – and Saidra grew up thinking the same.

She had not stopped talking to her new friends, spent more and more time outside of the Slytherin common room. Salazar had yet to notice, he was too busy watching Rowena and Godric. Though something had shifted: he looked more angry than jealous lately.

"Rowena?"

"Yes dear..." she was distracted by the book in her hands.

"Sal says I shouldn't talk to my new friends – the – the impure ones."

Rowena stilled, and then snapped her book closed. "Do not listen to your brother, Saidra. Hogwarts promotes and encourages friendships between houses."

"But he said Mother –"

Carefully putting the book back on the shelf, Rowena composed herself. "Worry not about your mother, Sade – hurry on to supper now, all right?"

"Rowena –"

"Come along." She stayed collected until Saidra had left for the Great Hall, and then her face dropped. She watched Saidra enter the Hall just as Godric left from the first landing of the grand stairs; they were meant to spend the evening together.

"My love," Godric was frowning, worry lines appearing between his thick brows. "You look concerned, what has you looking worried?"

Sighing, she attempted a smile. "Simply...well, it is Sal – and I suppose Zephyr and Saidra. It is all right though, I just – would you mind terribly if I went to see Sal? I know we were meant to spend the evening in my chambers."