Chapter Thirty-Four

Chapter Thirty-Four

         Salazar was shaking as he walked to meet Rowena by the edge of the lake, a soft wind pushing him down the hill towards her. It was overcast, but a heavy air had settled over the grounds. He could see her, face titled to the sky awaiting the rain.

"You have a study, you know." He said, moving to stand closely. She did not move away, and he let himself relax a bit.

"I like it out here." She looked out across the lake, towards the forest. "Salazar, I have decided to move Saidra to Ravenclaw House."

"You what."

"I think it was a mistake, I always did – she does not belong in Slytherin. Even you know that."

"Rowena, my mother will kill her."

"She will not have the chance. I am keeping Saidra here, at Hogwarts, for the summer. For as many summers as she needs."

Salazar had infrequently felt upset at Rowena, but now anger rolled through him. "You must be lying," he could hardly speak. "What are you thinking – Saidra is not just a stray you can adopt, she comes from an important family. She cannot just leave."

"She is not leaving, Salazar, she is simply not returning."

He could tell from her tone that he was not going to win this, and there was little he could do to convince Saidra to return to Slytherin Castle, let alone to stay with her sisters and the other Slytherins.

"This is a mistake, Zephyr will ruin us, the school – is it really worth it?"

Rowena gave him a long, searching look. "I have seen the scars on your back, and on Saidra's – I assume Camilla and Lilith have them too. I could not bear it if she gained any more. Hogwarts –" she paused, took a deep breath. "This is our home, Saidra's home, a safe place. I will not send her back there, or allow her to live in a House that makes her unhappy. I refuse to let someone who could hurt another person like that anywhere near one of my students."

A chill settled over Salazar, realizing Rowena did not know what he had inflicted upon Saidra. If he were to have her one-day, which he had to, then she could never find out. He swallowed with difficulty, and then nodded. "I will have Camilla gather her things."

Later that day Rowena walked Saidra to her new room, where Gloria wrapped her in a relieved hug, and the other girls smiled welcomingly. The look in Rowena's eyes told all the students that if anyone bothered Saidra, they would have her to answer to – and it wouldn't be pretty.

In the evening Otho stopped in to see how Rowena was doing and found her curled up the by the fire, book open but otherwise untouched. "You did a good thing." He sat across from her, smiled in the way that made her feel safe.

"I wonder if I have only made things harder for her."

"No, Rowena..." Otho shook his head. "You are giving Saidra something she has never had – safety, security. A home, a real home."

She was quiet for a moment, and then looked him right in the eyes. "I never had a real home before. Until Hogwarts. I only wanted to give them a space to grow, to learn. To not be afraid."

"You have done that and more." Assured Otho. "I saw you with Saidra, with all the students – they adore you. As do I."

Rowena was stunned, and pink stained her cheeks. Otho was not overwhelming her, or saying much, yet she felt something welling in her. He was gentle she realized. "I – thank you."

He smiled and stood, patting her knee as he passed. "Goodnight Rowena."

"Goodnight." She watched him go, and instead of pushing away the feeling in her let it wash over her. Picking up her book, Rowena smiled – perhaps she was doing everything all right after all. 

A/N: Damn. Otho is just the sweetest. Also Sal KNOWS he's on thin ice now...