Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

         It was a common scene, to see the four founders gathered around Rowena's fireplace; her office had become the hub of activity and planning, where they made all their decisions. It had been a busy few weeks, and in just a few more the students would be arriving. Already the few additional teachers and staff members had arrived, settling into their quarters.

Rowena was going over applications, looking at the students her friends had chosen to be in their houses. She was noticing a pattern form, of children who had certain qualities being put in certain houses. She herself knew the children she had chosen were imaginative, intelligent, and witty. Their applications were original, and she could tell they are accepting of others; her house would be made up of some of the best, she knew.

Of course all the founders thought the same, sitting before the fire, sipping tea, going over their list of students. Helga had found the most loyal, tolerant, and dedicated of the lot, where Godric had picked out the brave and daring children. Of course, Salazar had picked through the applicants, tossing most aside; his house was the smallest, with students who were clever, cunning, and resourceful – and of course, the purest of blood.

Rowena noticed this last feature when she was going over Salazar's list. She frowned slightly, curious; these children likely already knew one another, had grown up in the same community. "Sal?" she asked, glancing up at him across the hearth.

"Hmm." He did not look up from his work, but nodded.

"Your students...they are all pure blood." She sat up in her seat a little, not like she was already sitting as straight as possible.

Still, Salazar did not look up. "Yes, they are."

"The house is not very diverse, that is all – these children will likely already know one another, many are siblings. Did no other children...appeal to your morals?"

Godric had stiffened beside Rowena, and he watched Salazar from beneath his lashes. He had been afraid a moment like this would arise.

"A few, yes." Drawled Salazar, "But they were half-bloods at best, and that is not what Slytherin house stands for."

Rowena's mouth dropped open, and she could only stare at her old friend in shock.

"You mean you purposely chose children with only magical blood?" asked Helga, puzzled. "Why ever would you do that? These children all have the same abilities."

The flames reflected in Salazar's dark eyes as he finally looked up, face cold. "I do not take to anything but pureblood, dear friends, surely you know this. Gryffindor knows."

Rowena had unthawed, and she did not look pleased. "Salazar, Hogwarts is for all children." Rowena had only recently chosen the name, and was quite pleased with it. She had wanted to pay homage to the warty hog from her dream. "And some children are half-bloods, some are Muggle born – I thought you understood this."

"I understand, Rowena, I simply believe they do not belong in Slytherin house." His voice was ice, and the other three felt chills down their spines. "You said to design our houses to suit our personalities, our beliefs – and these are mine."

"You will create division among the students!" Rowena stood up, her robes shifting, expression stony. "Salazar – this is my school, my dream, I would hate for the students to have a rivalry over something so silly."

"Silly." Salazar stood also, but the effect was lost on Rowena; she was nearly as tall as he, and regal – his stature would never scare her. "I do not think jeopardizing the magical world by fornicating with a Muggle is silly, Rowena."