Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

         It was an especially dark evening, and Rowena was pouring over her to-do list for the next few months. Spring was in the air, flowers were beginning to push their way through the earth, and Helga's garden was prosperous. The castle was complete, with only interior decoration left; Rowena herself was excited to craft the common room and dormitories for the students in her house. They had just hired kitchen staff and a groundskeeper, a couple of lovely young witches and a spritely wizard named Gwylim Sulwyn.

Her little study was just what she had dreamed of, with high arching windows with seats perfect for reading, and a heavy desk, bookshelves lining the walls for he private collections. Rugs lined the floors, and tapestries hung on whatever walls did not have shelves. A few plants (looked after by Helga, of course) rested on her desk and shelves, and a couch and a high backed reading chair sat in front of a fireplace that was always burning.

There was a hesitant knock at her door, and she glanced up. "Come in," she called, looking back at her papers.

"Good evening, Rowena." It was Alva, standing hesitantly in the now open doorway, twisting her apron in her hands.

"Alva." Rowena smiled and put down her quill, giving her attention over to the soft Scottish woman. "What can I help you with, is it to do with moving? I was sad to hear you were leaving us so soon."

"Yes, my sister in Wales offered her home to me, and I...I had planned to go within the week." She swallowed nervously; Rowena frowned, seeing her unease. She was truly lovely, with her rich brown hair and dark blue eyes, a heart shaped face and a sweet nose. "It is only – I have so enjoyed being here with you four, surrounded by magic, being able to be myself."

Rowena tilted her head slightly, listening intently, "I am glad to hear that."

Tears came to Alva's eyes then, and rushed forward. "Oh Rowena, I would so love to stay here, I believe that if I return to the Muggle world I will become a shell once more, and I cannot bear for that to happen."

Rising from her chair, Rowena walked around her desk and took Alva's hands. "Alva, you may stay with us as long as you like; you gave us the grounds for our dream, that is something we can never repay you for. It would bring me such joy to have to stay."

A blush rose to Alva's cheeks, and she wiped away her tears. "Oh thank you. I heard that you are still looking for a head cook, to guide the girls you have hired – do you think it would be possible for me –?"

"Of course." Rushed Rowena, "We will not get very far without your cooking after becoming so used to it." She laughed and Alva thanked her again, leaving her to finish her work, promising to return the next day to work out logistics.

Alva closed the door gently, and nearly walked in Godric as she rounded the corner. "Oh, I am sorry!"

"No worries at all, Alva, now –" he grinned, fiddling with the hilt of his sword – he must be going to practice, she mused, "Have you spoken with Rowena about staying?"

Alva beamed. "Yes! I am to stay, she was so lovely about it as well."

"And you mentioned the head cook job?"

"Of course, I am to lead the girls you have hired so far."

Godric's smile was infectious as he leaned down and hugged Alva quickly. "Oh, I am so glad you are staying! It would not be the same here without you, or your biscuits."

Alva laughed, and she let him go off to practice in what was to be the dining hall. He really was a kind man.

Back in her study, Helga visited Rowena. She was grouchy, pulling out her braids and clenching her small hands into the least threatening fists imaginable. "That groundskeeper!" she growled, "We must be rid of him."

Rowena was surprised. "I like Sulwyn."

"He bothered with my vegetable patches, Rowena!"

Her friend smiled kindly, "Do you mean he tidied them, dear?"

"No. He mucked with them."

"Helga..."

"Fine!" she threw herself into the chair opposite Rowena's desk. "He tidied my vegetable patch, but he was not meant to go near it!"

"I asked him to help you a little, Helga." Admitted Rowena. "You seemed a little overworked, I only asked him to help. Besides, I saw the vegetable patch – it looked lovely."

"It...well, yes..." Helga grumbled, "But he did not ask!"

"I will remind him to ask next time," she was laughing, but only because she knew that Helga and Gwylim Sulwyn would eventually get along – they were kindred spirits, she could tell. Everything seemed to be falling into place, and Rowena could hardly believe it – but she was happy

A/N: I have begun procrastinating writing essays and studying for midterms by writing. Not much else to say.

The first school year is approaching, and quickly! What could await the founders?

Rose