Chapter Two

Chapter Two

         The Hufflepuff land was known to be prosperous, among Muggle and magic folk alike. Rowena had purchased potion ingredients from them many times, and was excited to visit her newfound friend there. An invitation had been waiting for Rowena the morning after her birthday, and she had quickly, yet nervously, agreed.

Rowena had never had friends. Of course she had Salazar, but never had she found another girl to talk to, or someone who was creative in a similar way to Rowena. It had not taken her long to realize that Helga was smart as well as caring, that she had ideas and motivation.

Approaching the grounds, Rowena spotted the modest but large farm house where Helga resided with her parents and the last of her three elder brothers.

"Rowena!" Wrapped in a dress the shade of ripe wheat, Helga was a portrait of good cheer; a smile seemed permanently etched on her round, welcoming face, and there were little yellow daisies woven through her brown sugar braid. "I am so pleased you agreed to visit!" She gushed, ushering her guest in, "I can hardly believe you even knew of us!"

"Well, your mother has some of the best ingredients in the country - and I'm awful at plants, I really am." Rowena thought of her many failed attempts at gardening with regret; she really had wanted to grow her own ingredients.

"Mother will be so pleased to hear you say so!" Helga led them through the farmhouse, its ceilings low and carpets worn. Rowena, considerably taller than her new friend, found her arm bent if she tried to touch the ceiling. There were paintings and amateur tapestries on every wall, quilts over each couch and arm chair - it was undeniably cozy, and it all led to the heart of the house, Mistress Hufflepuff's kitchen.

Equally cheery and soft as her daughter, Naama Hufflepuff oozed warmth. She enveloped Rowena in a tight hug, and offered her tea and various nibbles. "Helga told me of your beautiful party, Lady Ravenclaw," she was kneading bread, rolling it over and pushing her fingers in over and over. "It sounded like quite the spectacle!"

"It's Rowena, please." She let herself sink into the welcoming atmosphere of the Hufflepuff house, with Naama's soft hands brushing her shoulders as she passed. She let her mind drift as she listened to Helga chat about the gardens, her brothers and sisters in law. This was was the embodiment of what Rowena thought having a mother would be like, a complete family. Naama was quick to urge her to stay for dinner, and Helga was eager to show her the grounds.

The Hufflepuff farms were prosperous, and Rowena was delighted to see how the ingredients were grown, and the buildings they had built to better grow certain plants all year round.

"I cannot thank you enough for having me, Helga." Rowena said finally, gently feeling the silky petals of roses the size of dinner plates. "It has been wonderful."

"Oh, it is my pleasure." Helga's cheeks turned rosy, and she ducked her head. "I have never...well, we are very isolated out here, and I have never had a real friend." She have Rowena a startled look. "I mean - I do not know if we are friends, but - "

"Helga?" Rowena smiled at her from across the roses. "I have never really had a real friend either."

"Oh." Helga smiled, shy but pleased. "What about Salazar?"

Rowena shrugged. "Of course we are good friends, and I have known him all my life - but I think he is more of a brother, as mostly he just teases me endlessly."

"Salazar? Teasing you? He seems so noble."

"Oh he is, around others. But when we are alone it is a different story." Rowena knelt to insect a small natural stream that ran through the greenhouse. Her fine shoes were soaking after walking across the original stone that made up the floor, and the hem of her robes were heavy with dirt; she could feel her curls slipping from her intricate twist. Rowena could not remember being so comfortable since she was a child. "I love it here." She whispered, dipping her hands in the freezing water. It was a shock to the system, and she thought, wistfully, I never want to go home.

         The sun was dipping behind the hills when Rowena pried herself from the warm embrace of the Hufflepuff estate. She invited Helga to come riding with her soon, and Naama insisted Rowena return for tea soon. Helga held Rowena's hands in farwell, and she sighed.

"I feel as if we have been friends for an eternity already." the sunset was reflecting in her dark eyes, and she hugged Rowena tightly. "Please say you will visit again soon."

"I promise." Rowena's voice was muffled by Helga's hair, and she smiled as they parted. It was only when she reached the top of the hill, swathed in sunset, that Rowena realized she had never made a promise to anyone before, not once.

A/N: Damn, friendship OTP right there. Sweet girls. 

Sorry its been a while, if you read The Years of Riddle you know my life kind of blew up. I'm putting it back together, slowly.

I'm going to Scotland in May, and I'm just aching to see the land that the fair Lady Ravenclaw hails from...

Rose