Chapter 7: A Much Needed Talk

That night around a campfire, Team RNJRS and Qrow sat on four logs positioned in a square. Qrow had just finished telling the story of the Maidens. There was silence as Qrow takes a swig from his flask. He had a bandage wrapped around his abdomen over his clothing.

"Really?" he asked, "No questions?"

"Of course we have questions," Jaune retorted, "This is just... a lot to take in."

Qrow sighed, "Sure, of course."

"So these... Maidens..." Ruby started, "They're powerful fighters that don't need Dust to use magic."

"Yeah."

"And there are four of them?" Nora asked.

"Yup. Always."

"And Cinder had attacked the Fall Maiden and became it herself?" Skyler questioned.

"Simplified, but yes."

"Which means that," Ren stated, "Whenever one of them dies, the power transfers to someone, a female, that they cared about?"

"Whoever was in their thoughts last," Qrow corrected, "Important distinction. Best option is someone we can trust. Regardless, their souls become combined, in a way."

"And that's what you were trying to do to Pyrrha..." Jaune said, anger slightly showing, "The night the tower fell. You were trying to turn her into one of them."

"The previous Fall Maiden, Amber, had been, as Skyler mentioned earlier, attacked. She was young, inexperienced. And her assailant, who we now know is Cinder, somehow managed to steal some of her power, but not all of it. We were afraid that if we didn't do something, the rest would go to her as well."

Jaune glared at him, "So you forced it on Pyrrha."

"Jaune..." Skyler warned.

"It's alright, kid," Qrow told Skyler before turning back to Jaune, "We didn't force anything. We explained the situation and gave her the choice, and she chose. You were there, you heard her."

Jaune hung his head for a brief moment before getting up and walking several feet away from group. Skyler watched him go with a sad look, knowing his friend wasn't in the best state of mind right now, and so he didn't say anything.

"That guy, Tyrian..." Ruby asked, "Why was he after me?"

Qrow sighed, "Well, you definitely painted a target on your back with what you did at Beacon. I told you having silver eyes is a rare trait. And the fact that you were able to use them seems to have upset some very powerful people. Not many people know about the silver eyes. Those that do aren't very happy that one has surfaced. That's why I've been keeping an eye on you in order to make sure you were safe. All of you."

"Well, then, why not just travel with us?" Ruby questioned, "It seems like that would've been way easier."

Jaune answered her loudly enough to be heard, but with his back still turned to everyone, "He was using you as bait."

"Hey!" Skyler said, standing up, "I know you're brooding, but how about he answers the question himself rather than you making assumptions?"

"Skyler, calm down," Qrow warned one last time, giving him a look before turning to Jaune again, "Look, I wouldn't put it like that... it's complicated."

Jaune turned back to face him, "What is all of this? Ruby's being hunted, the schools are being attacked, all for what?! What is the point of all of this?! Will you just tell us what's going on?!"

Qrow stared at him, then slouched over with another sigh, "Would you sit down? You're stressin' me out, kid."

"We're stressing you out?" Skyler scoffed halfheartedly, "That's rich."