Chapter 2

My tears have completely dried, in part to Cathy for giving me tissues on the way to school. We get to the parking lot, Cathy getting her usual cheerleader spot. It's one of the best spots-which isn't surprising. Like I've said before, Cathy is a fine piece of ass and she knows it.

"Are you sure you'll be okay, Dan?" She mumbles as we get out of the car, her brown eyes softening. I shrug awkwardly, because I don't really know.

'I'll have to get over it eventually. But no, not really." I reply, my voice surprisingly nonchalant. Cathy pouts her bottom lip and puts her arm around my thin shoulders as we exit the parking lot.

"He doesn't deserve someone as cool as you." She says, trying to cheer me up. I roll my eyes and scoff dramatically.

"Oh yeah, because my glasses and practically inept ability to socialize totally scream cool." I mumble, tugging at the end of my shirt. 

"Well I like you!" She says happily. I can't help but smile at her. Suddenly, her wrist starts to beep, and she removes her arm from around me to check her watch.

"Oh damn. I have a cheerleader meeting. Sorry, hun. I'll see you in 2nd period, okay?" She says, flipping her long hair behind one shoulder. I nod and watch as she struts away, managing to balance on ridiculous heels.

I sigh, hunching my shoulders in hope of being unnoticed. I look down at my feet, weaving through the halls. I pass several people, some bumping into me. I make it to my locker, which is fairly close to the cafeteria. I grab a few of my books, switching some out for others. Suddenly, a hand snaps my locker closed. I look at them, confused, until I realize who it is.

It's Jeremy King, a guy who has had a crush on me since 6th grade when I shared my Batman gummies with him. It's gotten to the point where he even stalks me at my job. I would be flattered, but he's just a bit...creepy. He's written me several poems confessing his 'undying love', and no matter how many times I say no, he just remains resiliant.

"H-hey Danika." He mumbles, red staining his cheeks. His crazed red hair is brushed tightly against his transluscent skin. He smiles, showing his teeth.

"Hi, Jeremy. How are you?" I ask, sighing. I try my best to smile, but I can tell it's not very enthusiastic. Despite this, Jeremy doesn't seem to notice or just doesn't care. His face turns even redder.

"V-very good! S-s-so, Danika..." He trails off, clutching his honors biology book to his chest. For a sixteen year old boy, Jeremy is very short. He's just about my height, 5'5".

I hum in response, seeming nonchalant. That's what I like about Jeremy-he's an even bigger nerd than I am.

"If you don't have any plans... Y-y'know, a-afterschool? M-maybe we could...um.." His voice trailed off into a nervous whisper. I looked at him and put a hand on his shoulder.

"I have to work, Jeremy." I tell him for what feels like the thousandth time. He asks me out occassionally, and while I feel bad for saying no, I can't do anything about it.

"O-oh. Of c-course." He says, not bitter but mainly just sad. My eyes soften and I push my glasses up the bridge of my nose.

"Maybe next time, Jeremy." I say as the bell rings, and I walk off to my next class. I swear I could hear him sigh in what sounds like adoration, but I ignore it.

I walk into my next class, which is Honors English. I take my usual seat in the front, hoping I won't be bothered. Per usual, the kids in my class are going wild and laughing obnoxiously. I kept to myself, putting my hands in my lap. Austin was in this class, and so were his idiotic friends.

My face burned at the memory of this morning, and I wished I could have seen it coming. He's always been doing this to me, ever since we met. In fact, the first time we met, he called me bug eyes and pushed me down in the sandbox. But now that we're sophmores, I'm hoping he'll mature, realize his own love for me, and possibly be with me for forever.

Or not, I think bitterly. While I wait for class to start(our teacher is usually very late), I tap my fingers along the top of the desk and attempt to be virtually invisable. Despite my effort, I get a sudden hit in the back of the head which I assume is a paper ball. I turn around, seeing Austin smirk smugly. About three girls are hanging on him, all gorgeous, tall, and blonde.

'What are you looking at me for, tramp? I didn't do anything." He says, drawing out his words. The girls on him all laugh, telling him how funny he is. I glare at him, clenching my fists in anger.

"Oh, just drop the act already and get that girl's hands out of your pants. You could be infected for all she knows!" I accuse, without thinking. Austin doesn't react, but everyone else grows silent in wonder, shock, or suspense. 

I'm an idiot! I shout in my head as Austin begins to speak.

"Why do you care, tramp? Jealous?" He says, and even though it's a dumb comeback, the class either laughes or continues staring.

"Could you stop calling me that before I put my foot up your ass?" I say, without thinking. It's like the worst form of word vomit. The class laughes, but Austin starts glaring at me.

"What? Tramp? It's what you are, right? A tramp?" He says, his brown eyes sparkling at me. I grit my teeth to attempt to stop what's about to happen, but I can't. I stand up in pure anger.

"I think you have me confused with those whores hanging all over you!" I shout, just as the teacher, Ms. Filbert, enters the room. The class laughes wildly as Ms. Filbert's eyes widen.

"Ms. Walker! Detention!' She shouts, walking over to me and handing me a yellow piece of paper. My mouth drops, and I look back at Austin, who is sitting in his seat and whistling.

I sit down reluctantly, my face burning with rage. I don't pay attention to the lesson, just clench my fists, crumpling up the yellow slip. I glare down at my desk, thinking of ways to torture Austin later. I feel someone poke my shoulder, and I turn around to see an unfamiliar boy handing me a piece of paper.  I unfold it carefully, hiding it from Ms. Filbert.

In scrawled, tight letters, the note read:

Nice try, hun. Maybe next time.

I run my fingers over the dried ink, feeling the indents of the paper. I turn my head around again and see Austin writing down something that Ms. Filbert is saying. He looks up and meets my eyes. He smiles, flashing his pure white teeth. I feel my head spinning, my heart beating wildly. Ignoring this, I poke my tongue out at him and decide to wrok on the notes.

However, I can't stop myself from smiling and putting the note in my pocket.