Chapter 22

I choke on my breath. I start coughing on air and double over. Lachie swears under his breath and rubs my back. I cough and splutter for a good minute or two until the coughing fit finally passes.

'Are you ok?' He asks once I stand upright again. I force a laugh.

'Yeah. Sorry about that, way to kill a mood.' I mutter the last part. Lachie smirks and looks in my eyes.

'What is your answer?' He asks nervously. Oo! This could be fun.

'I don't know.' I begin. Lachie's face falls. 'I don't really like you like that.' I straight out lie.

'But..' Lachie begins but I cut him off.

'But, if you give me some time and you can prove to me that you are boyfriend material AND you talk to Harry, then maybe it could be a yes.' I say, hoping that I am playing it cool and that Lachie doesn't notice how excited I am that he asked me to be his girlfriend.

'Um, ok.' He says smirking.

'Oh and you should know, you have competition.' I smirk before sauntering into the trees.

'What?' I hear him snap from behind me and I smirk. There is no competition.

I met Lachie back at the car and we both get in wordlessly. He drives us home and stops outside my house. I lean over and give him a kiss on the cheek and grab my purse.

'Thanks for tonight, I really enjoyed myself. Apart from being nearly raped.' I add and step out the car, leaving Lachie staring wordlessly after me. I knock on the door and Claire answers it.

'Addie?!' She squeals.

'Hi Claire!' I reply with just as much enthusiasm.

'How are you?'

'Good thanks! Yourself?'

'Better now you are here. There are too many boys in this house! How do you survive?'

'To be honest, I have no idea!' I say laughing. She also laughs as she wraps her arms around me and pull me against her chest. She breathes in deeply and is about to say something when Harry comes up behind her.

'Hey Ads. Where were you?' Harry asks and Claire lets go of me and I take a step back.

'A party. I told Conner to tell you I was going to be late.' I say on the verge of panicking.

'No, it's fine. You aren't going to get into trouble because you told someone.' Harry says smiling. I breathe out a sigh of relief and give him a quick hug.

'I am going to bed. I am tired.' I say, taking a step back from him. As if on cue, a big yawn escapes my lips and I blush. Harry laughs and ruffles my hair.

'Okay, night kiddo.' He says as I swat his hand away.

'Night Harry, night Claire.' I say walking past them.

'Wait Addie, I will come with you.' Claire says following me up the stairs. We walk into my room and she slams the door shut. 'Okay, spill the beans.' She says sitting down on my bed.

'What?' I ask genuinely confused. I put my purse on my dresser and go into the bathroom.

'Why you smell like a guy.' Claire dead pans and I freeze.

'What are you talking about.' I say slowly, hoping that I can change the subject.

'You smell like lemons and... limes.' She says coming up behind me. She takes the makeup remover wipes out of my hand and leads me into my room. She sits me down on my bed and begins to gently remove the make up from my face.