Chapter Thirteen

Scarlet stalked through the city heading back towards Saraphena.

"Captain!" A deep voice called after her.

She stopped and looked behind her to see Jefferson jogging up to her.

"I saw the announcement. What was that all about?" He asked while frowning once he got to her.

"I would have been arrested for assaulting a security guard so I gave him an offer he couldn't refuse. Tell everyone he has hired me to find those children and gain public sway, don't arrest me." Scarlet told him as she started to walk again. "Would it be possible for you to get people to stop posting complaints on the local boards for a while until I find the kids? Also, I've confirmed that he did get the previous Representative killed. Not vocally but his face said it all when I said it offhandedly. So all we need is to get evidence and then you can overthrow him."

Jefferson's mouth dropped open before he started looking furious. "I knew it."

"Calm down." Scarlet ordered. "Just do as I ask please and he will be gone. I need you to protect Lucille and Carla by the way, make sure the cameras facing the unknown carriers have been erased or looped and please help them anyway you can."

"Why? What are they doing?" Jefferson asked calming down only slightly.

"Saving the rebels on Pushade and keeping the resources this planet needs here." Scarlet answered. She stopped again and turned to him seriously. "You will do this right?"

Jefferson was quite, thinking before he started to nod seriously. "Yes, I'll start getting the word out to calm people down, then I'll make sure your people are safe and I'll get my people in the security team to try and find any evidence against him."

"Thank you, I'll find your son Jefferson, I promise." Scarlet assured him.

"I know, I trust you Captain." Jefferson replied with a caring smile before he turned away and quickly headed off.

Scarlet nodded once at his back before she started for Saraphena's again. Walking I to the hole-in-the-wall bar, Scarlet was somewhat surprised by the sight of over twenty people filling up the small place.

"Captain Scarlet!" A woman gasped at the sight of her before rushing to stand in front of her, tears in the woman's eyes as they looked up at Scarlet. Scarlet stood still as the woman hugged her tightly before pulling back quickly. "I'm sorry, it's just... what you're doing for the missing kids... oh thank you Captain, thank you so much."

A screen in Scarlet's vision named the woman Janet Walter, the mother of one of the still missing children. Looking around screens appeared telling her who's related to who and their names.

"It is no problem Mrs Walter, only a duty I plan on putting my all into." Scarlet assured the now crying mother.

"Captain, we're all here, as volunteers to help you look for our children." Mr Walter stood up beside his wife looking seriously at Scarlet while everyone else in the bar started nodding in agreement.

Scarlet shook her head sadly. "I'm sorry, but I cannot have you come with me to search." She told the gathered group. "You will all die by the hands of the Polar Reaper if you come, and I can't have that happen."

"What? But-!" Mr Walter exclaimed.

"No." Scarlet held up a hand stopping midsentence. "Do you want your children to not only have been kidnapped, but to grow up without parents because that sane creature that is already going to be causing them nightmares, has also taken their parents too?" Scarlet shook her head again."No, you all need to stay here ready for their return. Plus a smaller group might be slower, but it will mean I don't have to worry about the safety of all of you too."