Chapter 7: Captured

Chapter 7: Captured

It would be four months since Adam had moved into the quaint, cream colored house, that he now called home. Outside the home had a white picket fence around the perimeter. There wasn't really anything special about it. It was large but not mansion esque. The décor was typical, modern, classic, nothing you wouldn't expect. Few pictures lined the walls, and boxes were still left untouched and unopened. Seeing Hope's face in photos made Adam depressed. He couldn't bare looking at a pictures from a time that were now in the past. The house smelled as if no one had lived there.

Adam had specifically requested that the previous owners were nonsmokers. Although, Adam smoked on occasion, he didn't want Maddie to be exposed to the scent. Adam had Jesse, Mickey, James and Ryan help him move everything. It wasn't one of the fondest memories the guys had. A spell of depression came over every single one of them, as they backed up the belongings of their recently deceased friend. Each of them plodded through the apartment, a painted look of sadness. When Adam had called his dear friends to gather her remaining items, they were nothing, but supportive.

They had each found an item of Hope’s that reminded them of her. Each guy was different. After going through boxes and drawers for which seemed like forever, they came across a memory. A old Polaroid photograph, from Hope’s 16th birthday. It was years after her mom passed, and this was right around the time her and her father were starting too loose touch. They were never really close before, but it had started to go downhill. It was a like a spell, an ominous stroke of a wand came swirling over them, as they all stared down at the photograph.

Captured in a piece of paper, were 4 guys, all with shaggy long brown hair, almost matching flannel plaid shirts, and a girl with beauty that everyone knew about, but her. Mickey was on the far left, head tilted back, an open grin painted his face. Ryan had Hope on his back, he looked ecstatic as well. His brown eyes were full with joy. She was dressed in baggy jeans, her chestnut hair fell perfectly, and it looked like she didn’t even care. Gripped in her left hand was a pair of drumstick autographed by her favorite band, a local one no one really knew, but they were very important to her. All the guys combined their money to get them as a present. Her other arm was clutched to Ryan, so she wouldn’t fall. Hope was smiling bright, beaming, a ray of sunshine. It was something that could brighten anyone’s day. A laugh always ended up exploding out of her smile, it was angelic sound. On the right, stood Adam, staring with the eyes that had been admiring his future wife for years, but he wasn’t aware of it yet. Mickey, Adam, James, Ryan, and Jesse all looked up in silence at each other’s faces. All thinking the same thought. That they would never see that smile ever again.

**No one had heard from Adam in days. The funeral was a week ago, and Adam seemed to be doing better than anticipated. Obviously, after a week of zero communication, it wasn't the case. He hadn't expressed his how he was feeling, leading everyone to believe that he was fine. Jesse, knew otherwise. Being Adam’s best friend, Jesse was well aware how Adam dealt with heartbreak. There are two scenarios he envisioned. Typically, Adam would drown himself in beautiful women or alcohol, leading him to shut out all friends and family. Now, things were different, he had a daughter, a newborn to be exact. Jesse could see where Adam was headed, and he needed to stop him before he spiraled out of control.

Jesse drove to Adam's with the intention to keep him from doing something stupid and irresponsible. When he walked in, Jesse was baffled that what he had concocted in his head was not a reality. It was quite different. He walked into a quiet, dimly lit apartment. Adam wasn't in the common area, nor the office and Maddie's room was closed. This only left the room he shared with his fiancé. A place he loved, a place that would never be the same.  Somewhere he didn’t dare to enter*** 

Sorry, it took me awhile to post., I needed to rework a few things.  Thank you so much! Please keep telling me what you think.  Your feedback is really important to me.