Chapter 1: Sweet dream or Nightmare

Adam woke up from one of his countless, restless, sleepless nights to a cry. It shook him to his core, disrupting his light slumber. He was glad that he awoke because it distracted him from the recurring nightmare that racked him with guilt. Throwing of the blue and gray comforter that lay over his bed, he hung his leg off the side and walked to his daughter's room. On the way there Adam scratched his nose slightly. He plodded through the hall, his feet like cinder blocks.

Adam opened the door, seeing that the nightlight Hope had bought, made out of blow glass. It provided a small glow to the dimly lit room. He picked up his daughter by her shoulders and gently rocked her back in forth in his arms. Maddie fit like a perfect puzzle piece. After soothing her until she fell back asleep again, Adam hummed a few lines of Imagine by John Lennon. Which is one of his all-time favorite songs.  He stared down at the breathtaking little girl in front of him. Taking in her tiny eyes, toes and fingers, as Maddie's hands wrapped around Adam's. He looked at her dark brown hair, it reminded him of how Hope's hair was. Adam sucked back tears into his eyes, he wished Hope was here to share the beauty of their daughter. Adam then place Maddie back into her crib and covered her small body in a blanket with yellow ducks on it. He closed the door and slumped back into his room, sleeping on his side of the bed and not daring to sleep on the other side of the bed or even move the pile of clothes Hope had arranged before she "left".

Adam crawled back into bed, waiting, hoping, his thoughts would carry him a deep sleep, but sadly every night that wasn't the case. He could still smell the scent of her through the sheets. If he became lonely he would only place his head on the corner of what was her pillow, just enough so her sent would come through. He didn't think it was crazy, at least anymore. 3 months and it still hadn't gotten any better. Adam always wondered what could have been, but finally his eyes slowly closed and forced him to succumb to his nightmare that would return once again.