Just That Nice Type of Bond

I immediately hear footsteps from the stairs so I just hop on my bed trying to look as natural as possible. Just to add into the act I even pull out my headphones and plug them in. I know it works when I look up to see my mother's scowl. I take out my headphones and act as if I just paused my music.

"Yes?" I ask her. She just rolls her eyes.

"I told you about those headphones, don't hide your music. Anyways I know I've been stepping between you and Jace. Truthfully for right now, I don't want you guys together because of the age difference and because he's still your babysitter. You can like him and all, you guys can be friends but I still want things to be strictly platonic. If you can't keep that up, I'll find you a new babysitter and you won't see Jace til you're 25, do you hear me?" My mom spews out and I want to yell and fuss about it. She just told me I could practically marry him. I just nod my head.

"I understand. Can I ask why?" I say and she catches my drift.

"Well for right now, he's an adult and you are still my baby. He can easily take advantage of you and I really don't want that happening so I don't want him to be given the chance to. On top of that, for all I know he might just want to get in your pants Riele. Have you ever considered that? He might not actually like you and I don't want you getting hurt. If he can wait for you for about 4 years when you're both adults then maybe you guys can date. Even then it'll be sketchy because well you know." She says and then it hits me like a truck. My mom's against interracial relationships. Everyone in her family has been with someone that was the same skin tone and she even let my sister get with a guy at 15 when he was 19 so age can't be the issue. Sure they're still together now but he was black. My mom doesn't want me with Jace because he's white. I'd never expected my mom to have a problem with this, hell it's never even occurred to me til now.

"Mom, you don't like interracial relationships?" I ask carefully and I watch as her eyes go wide. But then they close and she lets out a huge sigh. Her eyes flutter open and she crosses her arms. 

"Yes but not for the reasons you think, believe it or not I had a white boyfriend once. I thought he was great until he tried to rape me, I beat his ass, but after that went down he literally had everyone turn against me. That's when I met your father and he reminded me that well black people need to stick together and I'm living proof of that." My mom says all while rubbing her elbows which lets me know she's telling the truth. I want to cringe so bad. My mom will probably never get over this.

"I'm sorry Ma, I didn't know." I say.

"It's alright but Riele I am serious. I do not want to see you getting attached to this boy. I need to know he really likes you and I'll know once he's waited for you. If he can't wait, he's not worth a glance. Until then do keep in mind he is your babysitter and if he oversteps that boundary he'll get killed in an instant." My mother says a bit harshly. I just nod my head. Of course that's not going to happen and I hate to admit it but I'm going to have to defy her just this once.

"I get it Mom. Thanks for sharing with me, I think I'm going to take a nap." I say to my mother and she just heads out, actually closing my door for once. I just sit on my bed for a few seconds staring in space. I look at my phone to see I've got a text.

Jacey 😉😍😈👅 : I miss you 

I just smile and roll my eyes. He's such a dork.

Ri 😍😇👄💓: Yeah I kinda miss you too.

I leave my phone on my bed and go to turn off my light. I am actually kind of tired. 

Jacey😉😍😈👅 : You better, check my snap in 5 minutes. 

I don't bother replying. I just get under my blanket and lay on my side so I can still use my phone while it's charging. I plug in my charger and I start watching other people's snaps to pass time. Eventually I get to Sean's and I laugh at a picture of him winking captioned "Everyone needs a Sean in their life" (A/N - Monsongirl hahaaa, thanks for helping me come up with that bit) I click on the chat thing and type in "Oh definitely" and send it to him. After that I look to see that Jace updated his story. I check it out and I find a picture of him shirtless, laying on a chair and squinting because of the sun. After that there's like 3 pictures of me, all good ones. After the pics of me it's just a black screen with the words "Can't wait to see you baby girl". I literally die on the inside. Instead of texting Jace I just call him.