Apology (Alternate Ending)

He closes his eyes and his grip on me loosens. I close my eyes before opening them upon a single thought.

Is this my chance to be free?

Could it really be this easy to leave all the abuse and the hurt and the pain?

But wait. If I leave, and this isn't just a fluke of Jack's avid personality.... Wouldn't I be leaving the person I love the most?

I consider this decision for a long few minutes, because it could either save my life or kill me forever.

............

I'm so sorry, Jack.

As to be careful not to wake Jack by jarring his arms around too much, I unclamp them from around my waist and sigh softly.

What am I really doing? Where will I go? What will I do?

Will I find someone else to love?

I doubt that. I loved Jack. I love how Jack used to be. I don't love the drunk self that he's brought to the table.

But what if the him that he switched to is him trying to change? Like, really truly change?

...........

I don't know if I believe it. I mean, for all I know, it could be a trick to make me trust him.

So I vote no.

I tip toe over to our closet, pack my essentials in my lime green suitcase that Jack got me as an early birthday present, and leave, not daring to turn back.

Jack wakes up, feeling hungover as usual. He has a major migraine, so he stumbles to the bathroom and takes like, four aspirin. He gulps it down with fresh cold water.

"Feels good," he mutters.

He goes back to the bedroom before he suddenly realizes that something huge is missing.

...............

His wife's gone.

He begins to panic, checking every room, before looking in the closet.

Everything she owned, or owns, is missing, including all of her heels, and, and....

And her lime green suitcase.

Jack falls to his knees and simply balls his eyes out.

Why?

Because he just lost the love of his life, that's why.

The woman he loved the most was gone, and all because he'd mistreated her one too many times while he was drunk.

How could he ever forgive himself?

Could she ever forgive him?