Day 3: Why am I still Alive?

I wake, startled by the cold breeze that pricks at my skin. I still sit in the cave, in the same spot I was in before. My wounds are wrapped with the bandage, ever so carefully. The bandage is a white cream color, with small rough edges. It's not the best thing to wrap my wounds with, but it's all I've got. I sit up a bit. Everything aches. It's hard enough to sit up, that I just lay back down. I don't want to move. If someone finds me, I'll just let them kill me. I have no chance of survival.

Last night I heard three cannons go off after I got into the cave. That makes twenty tributes, including me. I think. Was it the Ersol Tributes that were killed? Most likely. But then to come to think of it, that boy who tried to kill me, but got killed by Kal seemed to have a strength in knife throwing already. It wasn't anyone I've seen before, and it wasn't Austin. I'm sure that Austin is dead as the rock of the mountain. He has to be dead. He has no skill that I know of, in hunting. I see no need for a Ersol Citizen to have a skill in hunting.

I think about life as I stare at the rock ceiling. "I'm cold, and tired. I shouldn't be thinking like this." I rub my face. "But I can't move." I tell myself. Why am I still alive. I should just roll down the mountain and let somebody find me or I'll freeze to death first. I just need to get rid of this pain. This endless pain. "Hello?" I whisper into the darkness. I'm alone, so no response begins to echo through the cave. 

I sit up again and try to stand up. My legs tremble. They are frozen and hurt like heck. I limp to my bag and pick it up. Even picking the bag up makes me ache. I limp into the back of the cave, and collapse onto my sleeping bag. It's cold. "Help me." I shout, my voice echoing through the cave. I stare at the stone wall, cold, and helpless. I haven't had a conversation with someone in days, so my voice aches to be used. I wonder suddenly if she can see me. If Mia can see me. Can every other Panem citizen see me? Is there cameras in this deserted cave? I doubt it.

Suddenly I hear footsteps. I stop. Someone's come to kill me. I panic. "Hello?" A voice whispers. "Someone was shouting from here, hello?" A girl. A young girl. Around 13. "Help me" I moan. I need medical support, and this girl could have some. Her footsteps echo through the cave until she stands in front of me. "Are you ok?" She asks. My weak eyes stare at her. "No." I gasp. "What do you need help with?" She asks smiling. "I'll help you, as long as we become an alliance." "Sure. Alliance it is. I've had knifes thrown at me." I whisper. She nods. "Where?" Her brown hair glowing in the darkness. 

"My left fore leg and my right elbow." I look at her, with glossy eyes. Someone's come to help me. My voice is able to be used again. I have someone who cares about me again. She opens her backpack and pulls out some leaves. "These usually help with Tracker Jacker stings, but they may help your wounds too." She smiles. "I'm Crystal." I smile weakly. "I'm Mae. District 9." Mae's hair shines. "District 12." I gasp. She nods. "I know." Mae smiles as she takes my jacket off for me.

Mae removes the bandage and places the leaves on my wounds. The leaves are cold, and feel like ice, but they stop my pain. "Thank you." I gasp. "If you hadn't of found me, I would of died. Anyways how did you find me?" I ask. "I heard your shouts. I was in the forest near by. I climbed up a path on the mountain beside this one and walked down it to get here. I heard breathing, so I came in." Mae smiles. I smile back. "Thank you." I say again.

"You saved my life from the pain." I say.

"Not entirely yet, I still have to do som -" I cut her off. "Don't get cocky" I laugh.