Chapter 8: Grounded

"I'm sorry, boy." I say to Nightwing before going to bed.

I fall asleep rather fast, as it's really late and I need to forget about what happened today.
'I just wanted to help...' I thought sadly. I just didn't wanna be cooped up in my room for 3 weeks straight. I wanted to do things, and go on adventures. Not miss out on friend parties or amazing flights the others just had. I wanted to explore. See the world. Just... anything! But I couldn't. I was told not to. *sigh*. 3 weeks better go over soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hiccup's POV
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's been 3 days. 3 days since (y/n) scared off the screaming and whispering deaths. I feel so bad; she just wanted to help. I know how it feels to be forced to stay in bed; it's not fun. She hasn't come downstairs or anything. I visited her with Astrid one day and she wouldn't even come downstairs to greet us. I'd love to say she was just sleeping but I heard her talking to Nightwing. So, we both left. We didn't want to disturb her.
"Well, she's talkative. What's her deal?" Astrid asks me as we walk out of the house. "Is she mad that you told her to stay inside her house and to not come out at all?" She added.
I nod. "Yes. Basically, after she scared them off, I yelled at her because she came out on Toothless and she switched dragons in a way that would tear her leg open. Yet, she still did it. She basically told me that we should have been lucky she came along. If Toothless couldn't fly, we were screwed. I'm surprised though, how did Toothless fly down from such a height without falling? He doesn't have Nightwing's auto-tail.."
Astrid thinks for a moment.
"Let's go check out Toothless. Maybe she installed something to his saddle to allow him to fly without you incase of emergency." She says.
We go over to Toothless, who was sound asleep. I wake him up, so he would know that it was us and not a dragon hunter.
We look around his saddle, and on the side where my non-metal-leg goes, there's a small lever that sure enough, allows Toothless's tail to stay open without my help.
"How did I not see this before?! I'm going to have to repay her for this. This is.. this is amazing!" I exclaim with joy. "I'm going to go back to her house and thank her. You're welcome to join." I say.
She shakes her head.
"No thanks. I'll stay with Toothless." She replies.
I shrug. "Alright. But if you need me, you know where I'll be."
Astrid nods and sits next to Toothless, eventually getting up to go get something. Probably fish.

I reach (y/n)'s house. I knock on the door.
No response.
I knock again.
No response.
I knock a third time.
Again, no response.
'Maybe she's sleeping or something.' I think.
I go inside. All of the blinds are drawn; the windows are covered. I guess she doesn't like light that much. It's like, pitch black in here. I mean, there's red candles everywhere but still.
I head to her room. I gently knock on the door, afraid she's sleeping.
She says, "Who's there?"
"It's me, Hiccup. Astrid and I came by earlier and we wanted to talk to you but you didn't come down..." I say. "Are you okay?"
She opens the door a little. "Yeah.. I'm okay. I just didn't wanna leave my room."
"Why?" I ask.
"Because. I'll see Nightwing outside and I'll wanna go see him. But I'm not allowed outside now so I can't. Nightwing doesn't wanna come inside because it's too warm for him. So I just read and write stories for the time being." She says.
"You're allowed outside, you just can't really fly around on patrol or train. I'm.. sorry I told you that you couldn't go outside at all." I say.
She thinks for a moment.
"But how am I supposed to train myself and Nightwing for another attack should one come? I can't just lay here and let you and Snotlout take them on..." she explains.
"Me and Snotlout? We have 6 other dragon riders." I say.
"But which dragons can actually fly?" She points out.
"Good point... I forgot the other dragon riders' dragons have hurt wings right now..."
"Hiccup, I know Toothless is powerful. More powerful than any other dragon I've seen in a while. But what happens if Hookfang gets hurt, you two get caught, and I'm stuck home, unable to help you guys? We'll have lost Berk's main defense. That's why I helped. You couldn't defeat the screaming death without Toothless, and I know he can't fly overseas if the lever I installed isn't pulled. I flew him because the lever could malfunction or become stiff when it's released if it's pulled for too long."
I look surprised.
"You know a lot of things about mechanics; I'm impressed." I say.
She chuckles. "Haha, yeah. I've built a few things in my free time. It's like a second hobby of mine."
"What else did you build?" I ask
"Well I--" she starts before Astrid comes in.
"Oh hey, Astrid. I didn't expect to see you here, what's up?" (Y/n) says.
Astrid turns to me. "There's been a problem. We need you to help." She tells me.
I see (y/n)'s face change from happy to sad.
"Astrid! You made (y/n) upset. You know she can't help!" I say.
"Oh. I'm sorry, (y/n). I didn't mean to make you upset." Astrid says.
"It's fine. Go do what you have to do." She says. "I'll be fine here. Go."
I felt so bad. Astrid just said we had to patrol right in front of (y/n)'s face. I wish there was---Gothi! I totally forgot she was a medic! I'll ask her as soon as we're finished on patrol.

We head out for whatever problem Astrid found.
We found dozens of Berzerker ships, as well as Outcast ships.
"This can't be good." I say.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(A/n)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You're probably wondering how the dragons' wings got healed that fast. Well, Astrid and the others had gone to Gothi while Hiccup and (y/n) were talking. Gothi gave them a special medicine that should heal their wings within a half hour or so. After that half hour (or so), their wings were completely healed. The problem occurred minutes after their wings healed. I hope you liked the story :) I'll be updating hopefully tomorrow.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~