+Chapter 9: Between Death and Life+

"What does living trully means?"

**********************************************

"Kuya?" I called as I waked up in a dark environment. As my eyes adjusted, the place is how I pictured hell to be. The place as like a crumbling greek ruins with nothing but endless night devoid of stars, tunnels leading to darkness, and the voices... the strained, tortured voices of people ringing in the whole area.

"Tulong!!!"

"Mamamatay kayong lahat!"

"Ayaw ko na! Ayaw ko na!"

Ang naririnig ko lang sa paligid ko ay ang hinagpis ng mga tao. Hindi ko sila nakikita ngunit ang mga boses nila ay sapat na para manginig ako sa takot at mabaliw ng tuluyan. Naramdaman ko nalang bigla ang nginig sa aking katawan ng bumaksak ako sa sahig.

I covered my ears, wanting to wake up from this awful dream but a hand in my shoulders took me by surprise. Mabilis akong lumayo sa malamig na kamay ng taong iyon at hinarap ito. I wished I did not. Because the man with a scythe infront of me is the epitome of this cruel place.

"Welcome to my Kingdom!" Aniya ng may malapad na ngiti sa mukha habang nakabuka ang dalawang kamay na tila tinatanggap ako sa kanyang tahanan. Ng hindi ko siya inimikan ay napasimangot ito. "Is that fear I see in your face? Haven't you experienced death three times now?"

"S-sino ka," Yinakap ko ang sarili ko ng mahigpit. The radiance he's bringing is so strong it brings shiver all over my body but I managed to spew out few words. "A-anong gusto mo s-sa'kin?"

Ang kaninang simangot ay naging isang napakakilabot na ngito. "Well, I am the God of Underworld."

"Hades." I gasped as I recall my greek literature. The earlier fear seems to heightened when I slumped to the floor entirely.

"Well, yes and I prefer my subjects to stand and give me a curtsy rather than what you're doing right now, dear. So, would you so kindly abide to my command?"

Hindi ko siya sinagot at wala akong ginawa para tuparin ang kahilingan niya. Wala na 'din akong sapat na lakas para labanan ang takot ko. The only reason that keeps me sane with all this myths is Yanis. Because I can't let him go and and think that he indeed is just a fallacy of mine.

"Are you just a stubborn girl or plainly scared like the rest of them?" He filled the silence with the cries of the tortured souls while I succumbed to it. I fear it. "I'll take that as I yes, then. Ha! What did that boy see in you that he risked his life to save you? Ironic isn't it? Death saving you from himself?"

He knows something.

Even if fear was great, I tried to be better and fight through my wobbly knees to my feet and faced him with must conviction I can mutter despite it.

"A-anong kailangan mo?" Lakas loob kong tanong sa kanya na nagpabago ng timpla niya.

"You dare ask that?" Ani nito sa mababang boses. Lumapit siya sa akin, swinging his Scythe. "After what you've done to one of my neophytes?"

"W-wala akong..."

He laughed miraculously, "Wala? How funny. You sent him to his downfall and you dare say wala? People are build by love but is ruined by it too." He shook his head. "While we immortals in the underworld are build by hatred but are destroyed by love. Now, where is the justice there?"

I felt the tears building up at the side of my eyes. I clutch my chest. It hurts.

Hindi ko namalayan ang paglapit saakin ni Hades. I dared to look at him in the eyes but I quickly look away. He said he is build of hatred... But there was definitely pain in his eyes.

"Do you wanna see Death?" My eyes widened. "Oh no! I'm not sending you to death. You see, that is not my job. I'm Hades, not Death. You mortals and your messed up description about us."

"T-then... You'll let me meet Yanis?"

"Yanis?"

"A-ah, Death."

"Sure, why not. It's about time." He smirked. "Well, that has double meaning if you did not get it."

"Then let's go!"

"Oh? Now you're bossing me around? I would love to see you here and I'll tell my good old friend Tartarus to treat you well." Hindi 'ko siya sinagutan as I directed my focus to Yanis. I heard him sigh. "Guess that'll not scare you anymore."

He flicked his scythe once and we were transferred into a huge dark room and my eyes directed towards the king-sized bed.

And Lays in the bed was Yanis.

"Y-Yanis..." I said as I walked closer to him. Nakapikit ito ng madiin na tila nahihirapan. "Yanis..."

Napamulat ito bigla. Tinignan niya ako na para akong isang aparisyon lamang ngunit ng tinawag ko siya ulit ay nagbago ang kanyang tingin.

Galit. Galit ang nakita ko sa mukha niya. The pain in my chest doubled.

"Bakit ka nandito?!" Sinubukan ko siyang alalayan sa pag-upo kaso ay itinulak niya ako palayo. "Don't touch me! J-just please stay away—"

"I brought her here, Death." Sabi ni Hades ng makalapit ito. Yanis look at Hades with shock and remorse. Hindi sila nagsalita ngunit ay parang naguusap ito gamit ang kanilang mga mata.

After a minute, Hades sighed.

"Just tell her the truth Death and you'll be free." Ani Hades at lumapit kay Death. "I can't repay you back if you'll not do this. Why? Are you willing to wait for another lifetime to tell her?"

"N-no." Yanis looked at me with that sad eyes. I do not understand what they are saying but I wanted to know the truth is no matter how grim it is just to set him free. Yanis broke our contact and closed his eyes. "I can't."

"Then tell her before its too late."

"I don't want to do that—"

"You still think what happened to that girl before is your fault?"

"Her? Who—"

"Don't be jealous." Hades rolled his eyes at me. "I would like to tell you but we swore to the river of styx that—"

"Stop."

"Stubborn." Tinalikuran ni Hades si Death at nawala ito ng parang bula. I stand still. I'm so curious on what they are talking about. What secret? What lifetime? Who is she?

"Felicty..." Yanis called me and I snapped out from my thoughts. "Live your life. You don't belong here."

"Yanis, sabihin mo na lang sa'kin ang totoo. I can handle it, please. I-I think I now know your mission and I fully accept it, just tell—"

"You know nothing Felicity." Yanis cut me off. "You are still as selfless as ever and I hate to be the one to do this to you again. It's selfish and I can't deprived you from that life again."

"Yanis, I—"

"It's not yet time, Felicity." Yanis said with his sad eyes boring at me. I stared back at him, begging him to believe me when I say h . "Please live your life. To the fullest that you can. Without minding me. Without minding death."

Napatingin ako kay Yanis. It feels like a dream but when his hands touch mine, I know it's not. I'll be waiting when that time comes... But for now...

"Live, Felicity."