Chapter 2

We drive in silence passing fields and small cities, my moms Flex drives ahead of us so we can follow her to California. The air conditioner was on high due to the hot and humid weather, "I'm sorry, it wasn't in my jurisdiction" Lainey says as she puts her silver colored phone in the glove compartment and shuts it tight. I sip the slushy cool drink in the cup holder without looking and turn on the radio loud playing pop music, Lainey finished her drink and picks at the large styrofoam cup. Flashbacks go through my mind about Mckenzie Walters embarrassing me all throughout middle school, the wench had poured ice cold pink lemonade over my head in the middle of lunch, stolen my clothes in the locker room, tripped me on a regular basis, and plenty more devious things. My grip grew tighter on the steering wheel as I thought about Mckenzie and throwing my nimble hands around her neck and choking the caked face of her.

" you're not mad at me still,right?" Lainey said as she lowered the blaring music and smiled happily as I sighed letting any anger out in the breath that went onto the windshield "nope, just don't do it again" I said smiling and turned the music back up as I listened to the girly music I had to stand because Lainey loved it. If music had a color, this genre would be pink and glittery, I watch my mom through the rear window and see her throwing her hands up and around, she was talking on the phone. The fields are filled with the blue flowers that are a representation of Texas, Longhorns graze in the areas where they eat grass and the beautiful flowers. I would seriously have to get use to the big cities and industries in California since I've finally grown use to fields, small towns, lakes, and Sonic.

Lainey dug into her tiny purse and pulled out a plastic bag filled with pretzels, hot Cheetos, mints, and Chex mix, "That's so gross!" I said laughing as she pulled out a hot Cheeto and popped it into her mouth. "It's good! Come on try some!" She began stuffing her lipsticked mouth "just give me a pretzel, you dingbat" I said laughing as she threw a brown thin pretzel stick at me. As the sun began to change into a red orange Texas sunset we passed the State limits, "welcome to New Mexico: The land of Enchantment" a dingy green sign said as we passed into the dirt filled road. The roads were empty besides my moms car and us, Lainey raised her hand up and I high fived it as she squealed in her seat, she was so excited, or at least that's what it looked like.

" oh my god, pull over, I have to pee" Lainey said and without hesitation I passed her my empty Sonic cup "YOURE SICK!" She crossed her legs and put her hands on them as she tried to hold it. "Call mom, we can't lose her car" she snatches her phone and dials up my moms number as if it was only four numbers. "MOM STOP THE CAR I HAVE TO GO TO THE BATHROOM!" at this point she was opening the door and I break quickly as she hops out and sprints behind a dried up bush. After about two minutes Lainey sits back in the fabric seat and shuts the black car door and smiles as we take back off onto our adventure to the Golden state. The sky turns a gold shimmer and I see bugs flying around in the brightness of the headlights, my phone rings and I hear my moms voice on the other line "once we get to a city were going to stay at a hotel". But sadly it was another 3 hours until we did get to a city.

My mom bought two rooms because she felt she wanted alone time and not to hear Lainey and I gossip anymore, smart idea since the hotel had wifi. Lainey plopped onto the queen size bed with clean white sheets and began to go on Instagram while I laid on the couch listening to music and reading my book 'In the land of Prey and Predator by Charlotte Stunson'. As I began to feel sleep fill my eyes a high pitch scream filled our room and then a cackling laugh, Lainey. "Oh my god, what's wrong!?" I said throwing my headphones off and throwing my book on the couch and losing my page, "you got to see this!". My feet dragged slowly on the scratchy carpet from being so darn tired, "This better be important" my brown hair covered one of my eyes while I tried to blow it back.

On Instagram was a huge quote with about 300 likes
"Sometimes you just have to float through the wind like a flower petal, even if it means leaving the flower itself" and the caption below said "goodnight😒".