Lies 19

*Jesse*

I watched as the EMT's rolled my father's body away in a black body bag and pulled Lisa closer to me when they loaded it into the back of a coroner's van. The police were of course asking Lisa and I questions about the condition we, I, found him in and if he was dead by the time we showed up or not. I had told them that I was the one who found him and that I called Lisa over after I called for help. They asked her for conformation after I finished talking, not to my surprise, and she told them the same thing. I was sitting on the steps of my trailer watching all the cars drive away when Lisa came and sat down next to me.

"Hey," she said to me gently. "How are you feeling?"

"Fine," I said honestly. Well...not entirely.

"Really?"

"I can't say that I'm devestated. He was never really there for me or anything."

"Yeah, but he was still your dad."

"I know," I sighed. "I'm.....sad about that part. I'm sad that he won't be around to hopefully sober up enough to see his first grandkid or to....man, he wouldn't even be able to give me advice about being a father because he never was much of one." I stood up suddenly exasperated by everything about my dad coming to mind now.

"Jess-"

"I gotta get to work," I said checking my watch. "Do you want to stay here or come with me or something? I know you don't want to go back home."

"No I really don't," she said looking down. I offered her my hand when she looked back up and she took it after a moment. We held hands on the way to my car and I drove us to Ernie's as soon as we got in.

When we got there, the place was starting to fill up for the start of the evening and Ernie was working on cleaning glasses behind the bar counter. He looked up when he heard the door close and visibly sighed.

"There you are!" he said. "I thought you forgot you had to work today."

"Sorry about that," I said leading Lisa to a bar stool very close to where I would be working. "Had a little distraction." Ernie eyed me and Lisa, going back and forth between the two of us, before sighing again and shaking his head.

"She the one?" he asked me. I nodded and took my jacket off.

"That's her," I said. Lisa smiled warmly at Ernie when he looked at her again and he returned it as he held his hand out to her.

"Hello there dear, I don't know if you remember me or not but I'm Ernie," he introduced himself. Lisa let out a little chuckle.

"Right, I remember you," she said. "I'm Lisa."

"And I remember you. All you kids were crazy the night you came in here," Ernie commented. I rolled my eyes. He didn't know the half of it.

"Yeah I'd say getting kicked out of Cabana does that to you," Lisa replied.

"Oh you got kicked out of there huh? What for? PDA?"

"No, fighting," Lisa said switching her eyes over to me. Ernie followed her move and raised an eyebrow at me. I held up my hands innocently.

"The kid was asking for it," I said.

"Yeah and that kid became one of your best friends," Lisa said. She immediately dropped her eyes to the old chipped wooden counter top while I grabbed some fogged up glasses and cleaned them absent minded.

"Did you happen to have another recent fight with this kid?" Ernie asked sensing our mood change.

"Only a little one," I said.