Chapter Six

Dianne took a deep breath and braved herself before opening the door of Kristen’s office. She was nervous, but still unafraid. If there’s one thing that Dianne was sure of, it was that Kristen called her to torment her. But, she would not give that satisfaction to Kristen.

            “You’re late. You should’ve been here minutes ago.” Kristen said in a tone of superiority. “Someone like me have many things to do, I’m busy. Well, it’s not like someone like you can understand.” Kristen said in a degrading tone.

            “I’m sorry, Ms. Lovell.” Dianne said in very confident. Words like that don’t hurt Dianne at all. She was used to it, and she didn’t care about it.

            “Forget it, it’s not like your apology can give back my lost time.” Kristen said as she glared at Dianne. “Sit.” She said snobbishly.

            Dianne sat down in front of Kristen’s desk quietly. She knew that whatever she says would only irritate Kristen, so she chose just to keep quiet.

            “How much?” Kristen suddenly asked as she took out her check-book.

            “Excuse me?” Dianne asked confusedly.

            “How much do you need to resign and stay away from Adrian?” Kristen asked arrogantly as she opened her check-book. “Don’t play dumb, didn’t you approached Adrian just for money. You must’ve planned everything with your boyfriend.”

            “I don’t know where you get that wild idea of yours, and honestly, I don’t care.” Dianne replied bravely. “If you’re going to say anything related to my work, then I see no further reason to stay here. And if you would continue to try to insult me, then I don’t see any reason for me to respect you at all.” Dianne said as she stood up.

            Kristen scoffed arrogantly at her and then stood up. She took out a brown envelope from her desk and emptied it on her desk. Photos dropped on the desk, some even flew on the air. The photos were of Dianne and Raphael the day before.

            “You’re making Adrian run after you while you enjoy a Sunday date with this man. Look at the pictures.” Kristen said as she threw a picture on Dianne’s face. “You look so comfortable and happy with this man. You two suit each other. So tell me how much you want, and just live your life with that man and stay away from Adrian!”

            Dianne snickered at Kristen. “I don’t see any reason why I should explain anything to you, so I wouldn’t.” She replied with full confidence. “But, I would say this; I would never leave Adrian. Also, I am not afraid of you, because Adrian promised that he would protect me.” She said tauntingly.

            “What did you say?” Kristen asked. She was taken aback.

            “You think you can threaten me because of your position, but as long as I have Adrian on my side, then there’s nothing I should be worried about.” Dianne replied. She then turned back and stepped away.

            But Kristen suddenly pulled her hair. “You think you can talk back to me, well, think again.” Kristen said as she pulled Dianne’s hair harder. Dianne’s head was tilted backwards because of the force. “You’re just a pathetic gold-digging woman, what made you think that you’re good enough for Adrian?” Kristen asked angrily.

            “Let go of me.” Dianne said as she tried to pull Kristen’s hands away.

            “I’ll pull out all of your hair until there’s nothing left on that empty head of yours. Let’s see if Adrian would still like you then.” Kristen said threateningly.