Chapter Sixteen

The run-in with Raphael left Dianne very worried and Adrian very angry. “Adrian…?” Dianne called as she saw Adrian gripped the steering wheel tightly.

            “Why?” Adrian asked in a shaky voice. “Why are you still worried about that guy?” Adrian’s tone was a bit low and sad.

            “Adrian…” Dianne didn’t know how to react; she had no idea what Adrian was really feeling at that moment.

            “Why did you protect him? Why do I feel like you’re taking his side? You shouldn’t be worried about that guy anymore. He took Xavier away from me, from you…” Adrian said sounding a bit desperate. That’s when Dianne understood what Adrian was really feeling at that time.

            Adrian wasn’t angry, he wasn’t being jealous; he was feeling desperate, helpless, and maybe even useless. Raphael was on his grasp, he could’ve brought him to the police, he could’ve wring information of Raphael, but Adrian couldn’t do anything at all. After hearing what Raphael said about Xavier’s feelings, Dianne knew that Adrian felt the same way as she did.

            If Raphael didn’t return, then Xavier would be devastated and broken hearted. They couldn’t force Xavier to go home either, because with everything that is happening in the company, and their father’s killer still on the lose; things would only be both dangerous and painful for the sensitive and fragile Xavier.

            “He’ll come back, Adrian. Xavier would come back.” Dianne said as she touched Adrian on the shoulder. Adrian stepped on the break and stayed silent for a few moments.

            “I want to protect him, I want to be there for him, and I want to tell him that everything would be alright…” Adrian said, almost choking. “…but I can’t even do that now… When he was in a coma, I almost got crazy. But a least then, I can hold him, I can see him…” Adrian bit his lips and the leaned his head on the steering wheel. “I just wan to be with my little brother. He just met Raphael, and yet he chose him over me.”

            “He’s in love, Adrian.” Dianne said in a very gentle tone. “Xavier is in love, and when you’re in love with someone, you could see no one else but that person. Your mind and your heart would be filled with that one person alone. That love would be everything to you, it would be the only thing you would see, you would hear, and you would feel. That love would be your whole world.” Dianne explained. “Right now, Raph is the whole world to Xavier, like you are to me.” She said.

            Adrian looked at her and then smiled a little. “Promise me, you’ll stay with me. I won’t be able to take it if I lose you as well.” Adrian said in an almost pleading tone.

            “You’ll never lose me, and I doubt that you’ve lost Xavier. Like I said, he would come back.” Dianne said reassuringly.

            “I want to blame someone, to get angry, to shout, but I can’t do that now. I know that Xavier went with Raphael willingly, but I still find it hard to accept that truth. I just can’t accept the fact that Xavier chose him over me…” Adrian said.

            Dianne didn’t know what to say to make Adrian feel better. She knew how important Xavier is to Adrian, and she could only imagine the frustration Adrian was feeling at that moment. Dianne felt guilty, she felt like a terrible sister, because in that moment, she knew that Adrian was worried about Xavier more than she was.

            That day, after she went back to the office, Myron paid her a visit. “How are you, my dear cousin? I heard there’s trouble brewing in your way.” He said as he made himself comfortable on the couch in the office.