Chapter Fourteen

Good news woke up Dianne that morning. Well, sort of.

            Raphael called to tell her that Xavier had finally woken up, but that news was followed by another one. Raphael said that Dianne needs to know something about Xavier, something very important. The tone of Raphael’s voice made Dianne nervous. Is something wrong with Xavier? She thought. Maybe the operation had some side-effects.

            “Hey… Hey…” Adrian said as he drove his car. He held her hand tightly. “You’re shaking…” He said.

            “I’m just worried. I don’t know what to expect.” Dianne replied honestly. “I mean, aren’t you nervous?” She asked.

            “I’m worried… actually I’m very scared that is something is wrong with Xavier.” Adrian admitted. “But I try not to think about it. Right now, I just want to feel happy, really happy, that finally my little brother is awake.”

            They arrived at the hospital, both of them have mix feelings, not knowing what to expect at all. Dianne walked in the hospital first, as Adrian parked the car. She heard laughing and giggling inside Xavier’s room. It was Raphael and Xavier’s voices, and hearing them laugh made Dianne feel a little bit at ease. At least Xavier sounds really fine.

            Dianne slowly opened the door. It would be the first time that she would meet Xavier as her brother. That alone was enough to make her heart pound.

            “I don’t think that’s a good idea. Dianne and Adrian would be arriving any minute now.” Raphael said in a cautious tone. “I get it. Just stop making that face…” Raphael said.

            When Dianne stepped in, Raphael leaned closer to Xavier. The two of them kissed. Dianne’s heart jumped in surprised. She didn’t know what to do, so she just walked out of the room unnoticed.

            It was very hard to believe what she just saw. She had no idea that her bestfriend and her brother were in such a relationship. As far as she could remember, Raphael was a Casanova, and he never showed any sign of interest in the same sex before.

            She didn’t know what to think, or even what to feel at that moment. Raphael and Xavier were both old enough to make their own decisions, and Dianne felt like she wasn’t really in the position to tell what to do.

            At that moment, Adrian approached her. “What’s wrong?” He asked.

            Adrian was a different story. He sees Xavier as his little brother, he knows Xavier better than Dianne, and he would do everything to protect him. Dianne was unsure on how Adrian would react to Xavier and Raphael’s relationship, but she was sure that Adrian wouldn’t accept it that easily. Even if it’s a girl, Adrian wouldn’t hand Xavier over that easily.

            “Nothing, I was just so nervous to face Xavier.” She said.  “This is the first time that we could properly face each other as siblings…” Dianne explained. She couldn’t bring herself to admit to Adrian what she just saw. And after seeing Raphael and Xavier kissing, Dianne didn’t know if she could still look at her bestfriend the same way again.

            “Don’t be nervous.” Adrian said as he held Dianne’s hand. “You should be excited, instead; as I am.” Adrian opened the door and the entered the room, pulling Dianne with him.

            Adrian suddenly stopped walking when they saw Xavier sitting on the bed with a big smile. “Hi.” Xavier greeted them.

            “Hi…” Adrian replied. Dianne looked at Adrian and saw that he was holding back his tears. Adrian let go of her hand and then walked towards Xavier’s bed. “You have no idea how much I worried about you, how much I missed you, and how much I wanted to talk to you again.” He said and then gave Xavier a gentle but sweet hug.