Chapter Nine

It was still very surreal for Dianne. She couldn’t believe that she was wearing a very expensive gown, as she looked at her own reflection on the mirror. That gown was so expensive that she felt really guilty and heavy just by wearing it.

            That night would be Adrian’s birthday party, and it would be held at a five-star hotel, no less. “I feel ridiculous.” Dianne said. On the contrary, she looked really beautiful. The sleeveless black and white gown had a slightly plunging neckline that accentuated Dianne’s gorgeous neckline and collarbone. The gown itself was studded with countless Swarovski crystals.

            “Don’t be silly, you look gorgeous.” Her Aunt Kaila said.

            “Why don’t you just come with me?” Dianne asked nervously. “Adrian said you could all come.” Dianne felt that she would be more comfortable if there are more familiar people in that party with her.

            “We don’t feel comfortable being such an event. I know that you feel the same, but it is Adrian’s special day, and since you two are special to each other, you should be there with him.” Aunt Kaila replied.

            A knock on the door came. “Oh my… you look beautiful.” Grandma Deborah said with a smile. “Here, you should wear this.” She said as she put a necklace with a little gold circular pendant. The pendant itself was studded with red gems. “I found it on your mother’s old jewelry box.” She said.

            “Mom, that’s…” Aunt Kaila said, she looked kind of surprised and worried. “Are you sure?” She asked.

            “I think it’s about time to let fate run its course. Whatever would happen tonight, will happen.” She said as she finished placing the necklace on Dianne’s neck.

            Why were talking like that? Dianne felt very suspicious. Why are they acting like that over a necklace? Why was Aunt Kaila so cautious and reluctant about her wearing that necklace? Those questions were running in Dianne’s head. There’s something special about that necklace, that she was sure about.

            “Dianne, this is really something… That Adrian must really love you…” Olivia said, panting.

            “What’s wrong? What happened?” Dianne asked and Olivia instantly pulled her out of the room, down the stairs and out of their house. “This is…” Dianne said, she was very surprised by what she saw outside of their house. It was a white stretch limousine.

            “Good evening Ms. Dianne. I would be your chauffer tonight.” The chauffer in full uniform said. “Just tell me when you’re ready to leave.”

            Dianne couldn’t reply at all. Her Aunt Kaila walked out the house, holding Dianne’s purse. Apparently, Dianne’s phone kept on ringing. When the phone rang again, Dianne answered it.

            “Is the chauffer there? I’m sorry if I surprised you, if I told you about the limousine, you would just decline it. I just want this night to be special and perfect for you.” Adrian said over the phone.     

            “Thank you, Adrian. But, isn’t this a little bit too much?” Dianne asked worriedly.

            “No, this is just perfectly fine.” Adrian said. “This night is my special night, it’s my birthday party, and I want the most special woman in my life to have every one’s eyes. I want this night to be special and perfect for you.”

            “But, this is your party… it should be special for you and not for me.” Dianne said weakly.

            “If this party is perfect for the woman I love, then it is already special for me.” Adrian said.