Chapter Twelve

“How is Grandma doing? Yes, I understand. Let her rest first, don’t let her come here, she’ll just be stressed. I’ll call if anything comes up.” Dianne hanged the phone after talking to her cousin Olivia.

            Things had happened so fast. One night, after she got home from work, Adrian, Raphael and Xavier were waiting for her. Everyone in her family was there as well. The atmosphere was so tense that it was a bit suffocating.

            Dianne could tell that something serious was going to happen, and she was right. Adrian revealed their reason for being there. As soon as Adrian explained everything, Dianne felt like a boulder just fell on top of her. Xavier showed her his birth certificate. Her – their – mother’s name was signed on the document.

            She couldn’t believe what she just saw.

            Xavier is her brother.

            She looked at her Grandma for an explanation and Grandma only nodded at her. So it’s true then… There were a lot of questions she wanted to ask, but it seems that Xavier was in a hurry. He asked where his - their mother was, he looked so excited.

            Seeing him that happy and excited broke Dianne’s heart. She still was so confused, and she still couldn’t believe that Xavier is her brother, but she knew one thing, Xavier would be really devastated when he found out that the mother he was so excitedly looking for was already dead.

            It was her uncle Byron who broke the news to Xavier. Dianne couldn’t believe how things were progressing. Comprehending everything proved to be a task. There was just too many information, too many revelations, that Dianne’s mind became so clouded. She couldn’t think clearly, she couldn’t even speak.

            It was chaos after that. Xavier stood up in surprise. He gripped his left chest. Adrian and Raphael panicked. But even before anyone could do anything, Xavier lost consciousness, falling on Raphael’s arms.

            It was then that Dianne realized what her family was talking about, as to whom they were referring to. They wanted to take Xavier back from Armando Lovell; they wanted to take her brother back. But most importantly, Dianne found out that her supposed brother have a very weak heart.

            It had been 3 days since, and because of the weight of the revelation and the stress, Xavier’s heart failed, the doctor explained. He was due for an operation a few days after his 21st birthday, but because of what happened, the surgery was conducted prematurely.

            Only then did Dianne understand why her family had kept everything a secret. If they revealed the truth to Xavier recklessly, then Xavier could die.

            Xavier wasn’t 100% fit for surgery that time. His health and his body weren’t in the ideal condition, since there were still a few months of supposed preparation. But fortunately, the operation was successful. But because of the premature operation, Xavier was yet to regain consciousness.

            Dianne walked inside the hospital room. Xavier was lying peacefully on the bed. Raphael’s head was resting on the bed, beside Xavier; he was holding Xavier’s hand as he slept.

            Seeing Xavier – her brother lying on that bed made Dianne fell really sorrowful. Things were yet to sink into her, she still hadn’t accepted the truth, but she had already accepted Xavier as her brother.

            After Adrian told them what Armando Lovell did to separate their parents, her Uncle Bryon told her that Xavier is her full-blooded brother. It was not only Xavier that Armando Lovell tried to steal from Fiona Clark, but also her. It was only because Byron Clark intervened and hid her that Armando Lovell didn’t get the chance to take her away from them.