Chapter Thirteen

“I’m not sure about this, Adrian. Do I really have to do this?” Dianne asked worriedly as Adrian discussed his plan to her.

            “We have to take them by surprise, Dianne. That way they would be rattled, and it would probably take some time before they figure out what their next move would be. We have to stall for as much time as we can until Xavier wakes up. Sooner or later, Frederick and Yvonne would find out that there was no legal contract binding you as Xavier’s legal guardian. And you know what they would do once they find that out.” Adrian explained.

            “I know.  But, I can’t help but feel worried. I’m not ready for this, Adrian. And I don’t think I would ever be.” Dianne sighed.

            “I’m here, remember. I’ll always be on your side. I’ll help you, I’ll guide you. So don’t worry, and don’t be afraid, because I’ll protect you from them.” Adrian said as he took her hands from the other side of the room and then squeezed it tightly.

            Those simple words, that simple gesture, all of it made Dianne feel a lot better. Suddenly, the weight she was feeling on her shoulders was lifted. Even until then, she was still surprised to learn that Adrian makes things a lot better, and a lot easier for her.

            Dianne’s simple wish was for all the trouble to end. She wanted to have a happy and quiet life with her new found brother and the man she truly loves. She was thinking how nice it would be to get married with Adrian and live somewhere quiet, somewhere where no one like the Lovells would trouble them. How nice it would truly be.

            “Dianne, we have to prepare. When you face the Board, you should show them that you are a force to reckon with. You can’t show any weakness. If possible, you should make an impression that they couldn’t lay a finger on you.”

            In the end of that week, Dianne would finally appear in front of the Board of Directors. And for the duration of the whole week, Dianne spent her time preparing for it. Of course, Adrian was there to assist her.

            Dividing her time wasn’t easy at all. She still works at the mall in the morning, then she prepares for the Board Meeting during the afternoon, and finally she visits Xavier before she goes home. It was tiring, but Dianne was determined to do everything for her brother.

            “How is he doing?” Uncle Byron asked, one night.

            “He’s still sleeping.” Dianne replied.

            “Do you think it would be possible for us to visit him?” Aunt Kaila asked.

            “Adrian said that after the Board Meeting by the end of this week, you can visit Xavier as frequent as you want. But, for now, we have to keep our relationship to Xavier a secret. There are people around him just waiting to attack, and Adrian is afraid that they might use our family to their advantage.” Dianne explained.

            “Wait? We’ve waited 21 years already; that is more than enough.” Uncle Byron replied impatiently. “I can not wait any longer. I want to see my nephew, I want to see Xavier. And now that his surgery is over, no one and nothing can stop me.”

            “Byron…” Aunt Kaila said as Uncle Byron walked back up the stairs. “He’s so worried about Xavier, he just can’t calm down, knowing that Xavier is still in the hospital.”         

            “This is depressing…” Olivia suddenly said. “I really like that kid, Xavier, I mean. He looks so nice and sweet. Of all the people in the world, why should someone like him be in that position?” She sighed.