Chapter Two

The day had passed smoothly for Dianne. Her first day as a manager couldn’t have gone any better. She met quite a few colleagues and befriended most of them. In the end, Dianne was accepted in their midst quite easily. Dianne was happy and at the same time worried.

            She knew that once her coworkers find out about her meeting with Adrian overseas, they would start to doubt the real reason why she was promoted. She was sure that some would think that she got in that position because Adrian favored her. But more importantly, she was worried that being associated with some mundane woman living a mediocre life would tarnish Adrian’s reputation.

            If there’s one thing that Dianne learned from her late mother’s tragic life it is that nothing good will come out of falling in love with someone that is not of your own world. Being an heir to a business empire, Adrian belongs to someone of his own caliber, someone of his own status. It only right that Adrian chooses to be with someone of his own world.

            After finishing her rounds, Dianne was finally ready to go home. When she was on her way out, she noticed that a luxury restaurant inside the mall was still open. Every store in the mall was already closed and yet that particular one was still brightly lit.

            ‘There must be a VIP dining…” Dianne muttered to herself and ignored it.

            As she walked closer to the restaurant, she noticed some men wearing black coat standing by the entrance. They were bodyguards, Dianne was sure of it. Whoever was dining there might be really important. She thought.

            “Ahhh… Raph...?” Dianne stopped on her tracks when she passed the entrance. She turned back and surely, her bestfriend was standing by the entrance. “What are you doing here?” She asked as she walked closer. “Don’t tell me, this is your new job?” She asked.

            Dianne could see the inside of the restaurant through the glass doors. There were two men dining inside. She was about to see the face of one of the men when Raphael suddenly pulled her away. “Come here for a second.” Raphael said as he pulled Dianne away from the restaurant.

            When they were finally away from the restaurant, Raphael stopped pulling her. “So you’re working as a bodyguard. I can’t say that it suits you, but whatever. So, just what the hell are you planning this time?” Dianne asked.

            “Are you trying to get me in trouble? This is my first day, you know.” Raphael complained.

            “Well, sorry about that.” Dianne said apologetically. “But still, I don’t see why a perfectly smart guy like you would work as a bodyguard. Jumping from one odd job to another, you’re wasting your diploma.” Dianne complained.

             “I told you, every job I take is planned. This is necessary to start my own business.” Raphael explained.

            “Don’t tell me. You’re doing that again; spying for information about influential families? How many times do I have to tell you, that you would only get you into trouble by doing that? Sooner or later you would be caught and there would be consequences. Why do you even have to do this?” Dianne lectured.

            “I know.” Raphael said as he placed his hand on Dianne’s shoulder. “This would be the last, Dianne, I promise. After this, I can start my business, and I would explain everything to you. But for now, keep it a secret okay.” Raphael said. “I should go now. Talk to you later, okay.” He said before returning to his post.

            Dianne was worried. Spying around influential families would surely end up in disaster for Raphael. She tried to stop him many times, but he wouldn’t listen. Dianne was hoping that nothing bad would happen to Raphael after everything he had done.