Chapter Eighteen

Dianne never expected Armando Lovell to give in. She had always thought that the old man was stubborn and stone hearted, but all it took was a teary and pitiful expression from Xavier to make him give in. Dianne wanted to believe so badly that Armando did give in, that everything would be fine and that Xavier and Raphael could finally be happy again, but, something in Armando’s eyes was making her feel really nervous.

            There was no way that Armando Lovell would just give in that easily.

            “Do you have the key?” Xavier asked Dianne after Armando walked out of the study to confront Yvonne and make sure Kristen stays at the mansion. “The box is in my room.”

            “I have it here.” Dianne replied and showed Xavier the circular pendant. “Are you sure about this? Are you ready to find out the truth?” She was concerned that whatever they might find out in side the box might depress Xavier.

            “I am ready.” Xavier replied. “Even if it is terrifying, I don’t care, I just want to know the truth. Beside, you’re all here to support me.” He said with a small smile.

            “We need to hurry.” Adrian said. “Yvonne would be out of here any moment. She’s one of the suspects, and I’m afraid that once she walks out of here we might not have a chance to confront her again.”

             With that, all four of them went to Xavier’s room. Dianne noticed how close Xavier and Raphael were; even Adrian seemed to notice it. Adrian’s gripped on her hands tightened as they saw Raphael leaned closer to Xavier and whispered something.

            Dianne knew that Adrian was holding back his emotions, that he was trying to be patient, but when Xavier suddenly blushed when Raphael as whispering something into his ears, Adrian snapped.

            “Could you stop that?” He finally said in an annoyed tone. “I’m trying my best to accept you as my little brother’s lover, so could you at least behave yourself?” He said as Raphael and Xavier looked back at them.

            “Adrian… let them be. They’re just happy that finally Armando accepted their relationship…” Dianne said and then gave Raphael and Xavier a sweet approving smile.

            “I understand…” Adrian said and then sighed heavily.

            “This is nice…” Xavier chuckled. “It feels really great to have an over-protective brother and a supportive sister.” He said and then smiled.

            They reached Xavier’s room and Xavier took the box from his walk-in closet. He put the box on top of the coffee table in the receiving area and Dianne took the pendant and then pushed it in the slot. There was a clicking sound and the top of the box opened slightly.

            Xavier was the first one to look inside, and as he peered inside the box, a small smile appeared on his lips. “Dianne, you should see this.” Xavier said and then moved aside.

            What Dianne saw inside the box that surprised and moved her at the same time; inside the box were pictures of Walter and Fiona together, it also contained various exchange of love letters between their parents over the years.

            The contents of the box were things that Dianne least expected. Never did she imagine that her father, a man who had everything could be that sentimental. He was just like her, and suddenly, Dianne felt a little bit closer to her father.

            As the siblings go through the contents of the box, they found out that after a few years of being separated by Armando, Fiona and Walter begun writing love letters to each other. Reading through those letters made Dianne tear up especially when she read a short unsent letter by Walter Lovell.