Chapter Eleven

Dianne and Adrian sat nervously at the Clarks’ living room. Adrian, specially, looked stiff in nervousness. Dianne couldn’t blame him, everything was so sudden, and even Dianne herself had no idea how her family would react to their engagement. “Are you nervous?” Dianne asked Adrian.

            “Yes, a lot. What about you, are you nervous?” Adrian asked her back.

            “More than you can imagine.” Dianne replied honestly.

            Dianne’s whole family came to the living room, they sat around and Adrian held Dianne’s hand. “I’m sorry, for coming this late. But, there is something we would like to tell you.” Adrian said in a brave tone. If he really was nervous, it wasn’t obvious at all.

            “What is it? Can’t it wait until tomorrow? Do you have any idea how late it is?” Uncle Byron asked in a stern tone.

            “This is really important. You se…” Adrian hesitated. “Me and Dianne… we are…” Adrian gulped, he sounded a bit hesitant. Adrian took a deep breath and then straightened his back. “We’re engaged.” Adrian finally dropped the news.

            “What?!” Everyone reacted in unison.

            “Are you crazy? This is a bad joke!” Uncle Bryon said in a very irritated tone. “I’m not amused at all.”

            “Are you serious? Are you two really engaged?” Auntie Kaila asked. She looked a bit concerned.

            “Yes. I know that you’re all surprised, but everything happened so sudden. When Adrian proposed, I hesitated for a bit. At first I was thinking of the barriers between the tow of us, but then I realized than the only barrier between us is me. I kept on thinking our differences and how things would not work for us, but all the while I should’ve been thinking of how we can make things work and those things we have in common. We may be different, but we have one thing in common… our love for each other.” Dianne said seriously.

            Adrian looked at her lovingly and then squeezed her hand tighter. “I’ll take full responsibility. I’ll take care of Dianne for the rest of my life. I love her, and I would never make her cry. I promise. So please, give us your blessing.” Adrian said in a very serious and formal manner.

            “It’s not that simple. You’re involved with Lovells, aren’t you?” Uncle Byron spoke to Adrian. “I don’t know if it would be good Dianne to have any connections with that family. If I give you my blessing, will you cut your connections with Chairman Armando Lovell and his whole family?”

            Dianne was surprised. Uncle Byron seemed to hate the Lovell family, especially Chairman Lovell. She couldn’t help but get curious and a little bit suspicious. What does her uncle have against the Lovells, in the first place?

            “Byron…” Auntie Kaila said. “There’s no need to go that far.”

            “It’s alright. Let’s hear what Adrian has to say about Byron’s request.” Grandma Deborah said.

            “That’s…” Adrian gulped. He seemed so confused. “That would be difficult. I’m not particularly close to the whole family, and in normal circumstances I would have no problem severing any connection with them. But my little brother, Xavier, is part of that family. I can’t leave him. We made a promise to never separate and stay as brothers no matter what happens, and I intend to keep that for the rest of my life.” Adrian said.