Chapter 10- You're Finally Being Real

When I woke up that morning, Ali was sleeping next to me. I could hear her taking slow, steady breaths. Her hair wasn't perfect. She wasn't trying to uphold a reputation around me. She was actually a real human being when she was asleep.

Now, what was I going to do until Ali woke up? I know! To the coffee shop!

I walked in and Ringo was at his normal post. I'm surprised he hasn't quit this job yet, but it's not like I'm complaining.

"Hey Iris! The usual?" Ringo asked me.

"Yeah, but I also need to get a coffee with extra cream and a little sugar," I told him.

"Alright, give me $7:23. And here you go." I paid him and took the coffee from his hands.

"Thanks. See you later Ringo." I walked back to the basement and Ali was still asleep.

"Ali, wake up," I told her. Her eyes fluttered open and she looked at me with sad eyes. Then, she hugged me. She is so bipolar sometimes...

"Don't leave. Please," she told me. Her voice was cracked. I could tell she was about to cry.

"I would never leave you. You're my sister." I saw her crack a smile. Not the usual proud smile she has, but the vulnerable, kind smile I rarely get to see. I liked that one much better.

After that, we drank our coffee and talked. We talked about everything: our lives, what we did daily, and that kind of stuff.

"Can I ask you something?" I asked.

"You just did." I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, sure."

"Why do you only trust me and Emily? The others were worried too, you know."

"Emily and I... we've gone through a lot more together than the rest of the girls. She always saw the best in me when no one else could. We just had a great connection. Nothing could break it. Even after that day..." she trailed off.

"What day?"

She grabbed something out of her pocket. "Read it. Then you'll understand."

Little did I know, that crumpled up piece of paper was a very important letter.